Author Topic: How to control TV via rs232  (Read 13366 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
How to control TV via rs232
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:58:35 am »
I just got an lcd TV with the hopes of making use of the rs232 port on it.  Well, it wasn't detected during setup, so how do I do that manually?  I am semi-familiar with the web-admin, but it is very confusing to me.  I tried adding a device somewhere in web admin (I'm not in front of my linuxmce comp) but it kept trying to control my tv via infrared.  Not what I want.  Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

toko

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: How to control TV via rs232
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:54 am »
Hi,

I'm far from being a linuxmce guru, but I got linuxmce already to control my blends via rs232... so what I don't know is if there is some special support in linuxmce for controlling your TV via rs232 (maybe you want to post the TV-model so anybody else could tell you if there's some support...)

However to get rs232 working generally you have to add the GSD package to your system (note: don't use aptitude...). I did that via
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install pluto-generic-serial-device
after a quick reload router you should see a new process and a new logfile on your system indicating that rs232 system is running on your machine.

I think that is just a start, but I hope it helps already. Maybe you find from this point onwards some additional infos especially about controlling TVs

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:29:20 pm »
My tv model is
AOC L32W761 32" LCD HDTV 

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:25:04 pm »
Hi,

I looked at your model of TV but the spec's I read said that you have these inputs.

1 x RCA(Composite), 1 x S-Video(S-Video), 1 x RCA(Component), 1 x HDMI(HDMI), 1 x VGA(Analog RGB), 3 x RCA(Audio in), 1 x Phone 1/8"(PC audio in)

I couldn't find any information about the TV having a RS-232 port.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:45 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that too.  Seems like alot of websites don't care if a tv has an rs232 port.  But rest assured, my tv has an rs232 plug.  I have it plugged in right now, but don't know how to use it.  Also, is there a special type of cable I will need for it?  Here's the one I bought for it.  And yeah, I know it's over priced.  No one carries serial cables anymore it seems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200051

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:40:22 pm »
you will need a cross-over serial cable, where the transmit and recieve pins are crossed between the cable ends.

In addition, you will need the protocol information on controlling your TV. This can be found either in the back of your manual, or in the service manual.

Once you have this, a new device template can be made entirely inside the web admin as a GSD device.

You can log onto the chat feature to talk to us, and we can help walk you through the process of making a device template for your TV. It is very wizard-driven.

Once this is done, we can also attempt to create a PnP script for your TV, so that it will be detected automatically in future installations.

Once this is done, your changes will be folded into LinuxMCE, so that others can use it.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
My tv model is
AOC L32W761 32" LCD HDTV 

Hmmm... it looks to me like the RS232 port on the L32W761 is only used for firmware updates according to the user manual;

http://www.aocdisplay.com/envision/manuals/L32W761.pdf

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »
Hi,

Check your user manual to see if there is a RS-232C port specifications section.

Forget that...

I just looked at the manual via linked supplied by totallymaxed and the RS232 port is only for service/maintenance.

Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:11:33 pm by pigdog »

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:36:23 pm »
Ok, well thanks for the help.  Now I know better for the next TV.

naturalblue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:17:24 pm »
Hi
Does anyone know if there is a template for the LG 37LC7D 37" LCD.
It wasn't detected on setup and I have yet to work out how to get it working.
I have connected it through the RS232.

Thanx
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:34:25 pm by naturalblue »

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »
Hi
Does anyone know if there is a template for the LG 37LC7D 37" LCD.
It wasn't detected on setup and I have yet to work out how to get it working.
I have connected it through the RS232.

Thanx

Hi,

I've modified existing generic LG lcd TV template with neede Ruby codes, but I have yet to talk to developers how to enter them in LMCE - so it will probably not be available soon...

Basically I based my work on this one :

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LG_42LB5D

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »
Ok, well I was able to return that tv for a full refund and get one that actually has a controllable rs232 port.  It should arrive today.  So how do I go about chatting with someone who can walk me through?  Also, I've very interested in helping the project, so would like to help create that script you were talking about.  Unfortunately, my programming knowledge is very limited, but am very willing.

Heres my new tv model
Olevia 232T 32" LCD HDTV

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:53:53 pm »
I just checked in a template for the Olevia RS-232.   I'm still having issues getting pnp to run (I'm not sure what triggers PNP for serial ports (I've got USB to serial adapters on my MDs), but there is a pnp script that I've checked out before in the SVN tree.  In any case, if you update sqlCVS, there will be a template for the Olevia 2XXT TVs.

There is a known issue with a couple of the input selects (due to an incorrect ICD), but a sql/php issue is keeping me from fixing it in the immediate term.  I'll get it complete as soon as the sql/php issue is resolved.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 01:32:34 am »
Ok, you're way over my head.  How do I update sqlCVS? ???

agentsmith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:05 pm »
I'm a newb so I'm not going to pretend to know how to do this, but I did find this information in the wiki that might help you out.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/SqlCVS.

Update the local database
Go to "Advanced->sqlCVS->Update and check the repositories you want to update. The "Next" button will start the update.

Let us know how it goes. :P
Linux Rox...LinuxMCE rocks in HD!!