Author Topic: I'm nowhere with plutohome  (Read 3953 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
I'm nowhere with plutohome
« on: January 18, 2006, 11:07:44 pm »
Hello folks,

After playing around with Pluto kickstart CD version 34 for weeks and comes to the conclusion there is no way to install on S-ATA with my mobo (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe), I had put a little hope in 35 version.

To bad, so sad... The install always gets stuck while loading SIL 3112 module.

Since I've just bought five 400GB S-ATA HD a few weeks ago, asking me to install on P-ATA doesn't help me in any matter.

I really would like to get Pluto up and running, but at this point, I affraid to invest in any new hardware since I can't get any garantee it will work.

I was hoping to build a high end server based on AMD Athlon Dual Core, 1 or 2 GB ram, roughly 1TB storage with Areca RAID contoller  and a  Gigabits network to support at least 4 media directors. But how to make sure this is a valid H/W config ?

Would it be possible to get a list of compatible H/W ? By compatible, I mean hardware pluto has really been tested on. I look at linuxcompatible.com and my current H/W should be fine, but it is not.

Perhaps you guys could open a specific H/W forum where people could post validated H/W setup ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
I'm nowhere with plutohome
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:37:49 am »
We don't (at least, personally, I don't) have a list of we-tested-this-hardware-and-it-worked-for-us high-end hardware. As of now, there were issues with three things:
- nVidia S-ATA (sata_nv): works on some boards, locks up on others
- Silicon Image S-ATA (yours, sata_sil): also works on some boards and locks up on others
- ULi S-ATA (sata_uli): module isn't automatically loaded by the installer, but if you load it by hand it works, and then the initrd may load it too late after the reboot and hang because of that and you have to change the initrd for it to work.

As of now, sata_via (and ata_piix on Intel platforms) seemed to always work.