Author Topic: Blank screen BEFORE installation can even start!  (Read 4777 times)

jayeye

• View Profile
Blank screen BEFORE installation can even start!
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:57:24 pm »
Relavant setup information: Dell inspiron 530 (intel quad-core, 3G memory, PNY-branded nvidia 8400GS video card, Sharp Aquos connected with a DVI cable to the DVI port of the video card).

I'm using the "official" ($5 for both 32 and 64-bit versions) DVDs for 7.10.

I boot from DVD, I get the kubuntu boot menu, select installation, I get a couple of lines from the booting kernel, then the screen goes blank. No kernel messages, no disk activity, no sound from the speaker as other posters have suggested, and no disk activity. Ctrl-Alt-Del reboots the machine, so at least I know the whole thing hasn't locked up.

I can actually install kubuntu 7.10 on the beast using the kubuntu installation media, so something must be wrong with the custom kernel in the release dvds.

Any kernel options I should be setting? 

Thanks,

/ji

PS: Before anyone suggests it, yes, I have read the posts with people having post-installation problems with the 8400; I don't even get there.  Yes, I have tried booting without the 8400 in place, but when I plug it back in nothing works. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Blank screen BEFORE installation can even start!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:59:53 pm »
if you are using VGA on an NVIDIA based card which also has a DVI port, connect to the DVI port with a VGA adaptor.

Also please make sure you are pressing the right input in the AVWizard.

-Thom

jayeye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:41:39 am »
That's what I'm doing!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:47:57 am »
You might want to try the CD installer, it installs on top of a Kubuntu-7.10 desktop install.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

jayeye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:37:28 am »
I already have.  Does not play well with the 8400GS.  I got the DVDs following the advice of several people on the IRC channel.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:29:41 am »
if you are using VGA on an NVIDIA based card which also has a DVI port, connect to the DVI port with a VGA adaptor.

Also please make sure you are pressing the right input in the AVWizard.

-Thom

Thom... he has not even got to the AVwizard yet... he's booting from the DVD at the initial point of the DVD install.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Mega-michie

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »
Well I've just started my own install and have the sama problem.   Sorry I don't have any answers yet but I'll keep looking into it.  In the meantime if anyone else has any Boot option Ideas that would be great.

Mega-michie

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:47:20 pm »
Ok I've just read some other links and seen that it could just take a long time for the installation to begin, so I'm going to try this and I'll let you know how it goes.

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:22:25 am »
Jayeye,

Hi , I had the same problem and i resolved it by installing via CD. It is slower but it worked perfectly. I have several machines with the 8400GS and they work fine - but there is a little trick. Did you check this out as link that made it work for me? http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5595.msg32887#msg32887

Regards

Justin

seabee

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:39:54 pm »
Hi there, I've been struggling for days with this issue.  But it is a simple fix for me at least (running Abit AN-M2HD with a GeForce 8400GS) When the Dvd starts to boot access the kernel option and remove the 'splash' option.  Works like a charm.