Author Topic: Problem when transferring larger files to LMCE public share  (Read 2744 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I spot this problem for quite some time (also with previous versions), therefore I'd kindly ask if you can confirm same experience.

I'm transferring media collection to fresh 710 Installation and using various methods (plain copy in windows explorer, SyncToy or other win sync programs) they all complain after random time that network share is unavailable... This seems particularly problem with larger files (till 1 GB)...

I also spot these in dmesg :
[66349.976000]  CIFS VFS: server not responding
[66349.976000]  CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 12
[

What are your experiences ?  Is sharing to windows really so unstable in Linux ?
Any other convenient ways to transfer bigger amount of files from Win to public media collection ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Problem when transferring larger files to LMCE public share
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:12:24 pm »
The other day I used K9 copy on my normal desktop computer to rip some discs down that LMCE was not liking. I tried several times to copy them over to the core, and they would fail partially through the upload. I wonder if this is related?

Anyways, I did a full reboot, and was able to upload them with no problem after that.

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:45:32 am »
bulek, just a shot in the dark: does it happen also after disabling Update Media (or the whole core processes altogether) ?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:32:18 pm »
I haven't had problems like that for a while. When I did, it was a networking issue (Zaerc worked around, and a fix has now been integrated into later 0710 versions) in the way LMCE was using CIFS. Have you tried switching to SMBFS to see if that solves the problem.

Other options are, obviously don't forget real networking issues on your network - these may not be apparent due to automounting, etc in other areas, but very high volume copying could easily be disrupted. (and ripping to remote shares - which is another issue I have had unrelated to the CIFS issue, but seemingly no more since RC1/2)

Common ones would be NIC issues at both ends, drivers for them, the switch in the middle, or duplexing. Try connecting a cross over cable directly from source to destination bypassing the switch. Also try forcing full-duplex/100/1000 on both ends rather than auto-neg as different manufacturers have different interpretations of the auto-neg process. You may even have to sniff the traffic to see what happens when the com fails.