Author Topic: Monitor surveillance cameras - How to set it up  (Read 3321 times)

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
Monitor surveillance cameras - How to set it up
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:40:26 pm »
Hi all
I am coming from http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Monitor_surveillance_cameras
I am just wondering if this description applies to the last version of LMCE, cause I cant follow all steps and it seems that in my LMCE 710 something is missing (without starting to write down all my steps right away).

So anybody knows if the guide does apply to the last version of 710?

thanks
cheers
Roberto

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor surveillance cameras - How to set it up
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:10:28 pm »
Hi all
I am coming from http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Monitor_surveillance_cameras
I am just wondering if this description applies to the last version of LMCE, cause I cant follow all steps and it seems that in my LMCE 710 something is missing (without starting to write down all my steps right away).

So anybody knows if the guide does apply to the last version of 710?

thanks
cheers
Roberto

Not sure if applies to newest release, but it's there... Post problems and we will help and then you can update Wiki pages...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

roberto99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:07 pm »
Ok, I know that my ip cam "Grandtec Grand wifi camera" (I am using it with a patch cable), is not in the list. so i understand that first i have to do the following:

"LinuxMCE has a wrapper that connects to Motion, called "Motion Wrapper". This wrapper is added as a "device" on the "Interfaces" page. You must have this interface installed before setting up cameras"

so in the admin page on the tree view under devices-interfaces i added (have now) motion wrapper - core/hybrid (i am testing on a hybrid right now).
Now I already do not understand what i have to fill in "type", "number of ports" and so on...just the first 6 fields.

Any help?
Thanks
cheers
Roberto

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:08:29 pm »
*hmm*

Motion only deals with V4L connected cameras.... You will need to do a template for your IP camera, that at the very least implements Get Video Frame. Look at the Panasonic IP camera template for details.

-Thom

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:36:30 pm »
*hmm*

Motion only deals with V4L connected cameras.... You will need to do a template for your IP camera, that at the very least implements Get Video Frame. Look at the Panasonic IP camera template for details.

-Thom

Hi,

well basically you have two options for IP cameras:

- either do the way Thom suggested - but in this way you don't have motion detection alerts and recording
- motion can handle also ip cameras in some limited, but usefull manner. Basically you add Generic Analog Camera and then you just make a small change in data :

pretty well is described here :
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/IP_Cameras
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Monitor_surveillance_cameras

Also some other usefull entries come up on wiki if you search for "motion ip camera".

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

roberto99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:14:44 pm »
Thanks all for your help. I will try further, altough nothing worked out well till now
cheers
Roberto

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 11:23:02 pm »
Thanks all for your help. I will try further, altough nothing worked out well till now
cheers
Roberto
I just remembered that I always install newer version of Motion, cause default is not so stable....

Try to search on Motion pages for ubuntu(kubuntu) package and install it...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.