Author Topic: Wireless or not?  (Read 4053 times)

zeb_se

• First post!
    • View Profile
Wireless or not?
« on: July 02, 2008, 08:59:54 am »
I am getting a new apartment and was planning to set up a system with one hybrid/core in the master bedroom and having at least one box out in the living room and perhaps some additional boxes (kid room guest room)
My plan was to connect the other media directors with wireless network as the main point of the network is in the bedroom. Is this doable at all or do i need to install network cables all over the place? Installing cables in the whole apartment is not an easy task i think.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:43:11 am »
zeb_se.

I am getting a new apartment and was planning to set up a system with one hybrid/core in the master bedroom and having at least one box out in the living room and perhaps some additional boxes (kid room guest room)
My plan was to connect the other media directors with wireless network as the main point of the network is in the bedroom. Is this doable at all or do i need to install network cables all over the place? Installing cables in the whole apartment is not an easy task i think.

Forget about wlan. It does not have enough performance, and it is hard(impossible?) to pxe boot MDs over wlan.
As you say you plan on using several MDs you will need at least 100Mbps to each of your MDs and 1Gbps to your core/hybrid.

/niz23

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:46:48 am »
I have a MD PXE booting, not Wirelessly but using a network bridge.  I have a linksys wireless router conected to the Core and then a Linksys WGA54G Game adaptor connected to the MD via cat 5e cable.  When the MD is switched on it PXE boots via the Game adaptor (£20 from Amazon.co.uk).  The boot takes about 5 mins longer than wired but once booted you can watch streading video content and simultaneous video/DVD with the core without issue.  Also Audio is flawless.

I have not tried multiple machines via this method but I do have a PDA orbiter using the same Wifi connection.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:11 pm »
IT works the way Techstyle describe.
But...

For example what happens if your wlan AP use the same channel as one of your neighbors. Since you share bandwidth you will be fine as long as your neighbor doesn´t do to much.

It´s not supported to use MDs through wlan. But as with a lot of other things it will most likely work.

/niz23

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:04:43 pm »
You can get away with watching SD videos, but forget about HD...

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:29:01 am »
my hybrid/core is connected complete wireless.

the external connection to my network is an 802.11n draft card and my router is a linksys draft n router.
the MCE internal network is a 802.11g bridge from an ethernet card witha linksys travel router. I have not media directors only an orbitor on the internal network for now, but my fileserver is on the external network. all audio and video comes from it. its a bit bumpy at times, but mostly smooth. I can surf the web etc on the eternal network while streaming dvd ripped movies fine

perspectoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:27:08 am »
my hybrid/core is connected complete wireless.

the external connection to my network is an 802.11n draft card and my router is a linksys draft n router.
the MCE internal network is a 802.11g bridge from an ethernet card witha linksys travel router. I have not media directors only an orbitor on the internal network for now, but my fileserver is on the external network. all audio and video comes from it. its a bit bumpy at times, but mostly smooth. I can surf the web etc on the eternal network while streaming dvd ripped movies fine

Check out http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Wireless_Networking#Netbooting_Wirelessly