Author Topic: Gyration Remote GYR3101US issues  (Read 3704 times)

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Gyration Remote GYR3101US issues
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:37:20 pm »
I have setup this remote using the following KB:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Using_the_Gyration_Remote_GYR3101US_(Non-Fiire_Chief)

However, I am still having a bit of an issue.  It seems that the xmodmap program still isn't starting up automatically.  I have added the xmodmap start up command to lmce_launch_manager.sh script, but to get the remote to work with mythtv or even xine I have to start up the KDE desktop and run it from a terminal window. 

I have tried adding it to rc.local as well as to one of the other X start up scripts in the pluto chain, but still no luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Gyration Remote GYR3101US issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:54:19 pm »
 :)
This should work from the lmce_launch_manager.sh script. Make sure it is Before the "KDE-DEBUG" entry, and also check your spelling of the line you added. I use this every day (and it was my wiki  ;) ) and I have had no issues. The fact that it must be run from the KDE desktop leads me to believe, either it is not before the KDE-DEBUG bit or there may be a typo. So far you are the only one reporting issues, and I hope you get it resolved. Please post your findings here, and we should have a working driver (no hacks) soon. I have been working on the kernel patch, and getting it properly integrated into the orbiter interface.

Any input you can give would be helpful. And thanks for trying it out.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:11:18 pm »
This should work from the lmce_launch_manager.sh script. Make sure it is Before the "KDE-DEBUG" entry, and also check your spelling of the line you added. I use this every day (and it was my wiki  ;) ) and I have had no issues.

Hi Seth.

I too followed your instructions and things are working beautifully here.

A fully mapped remote will be awesome!

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:03:28 pm »
Thanks for making the wiki and taking the time to help me out.  I'm at work so I can't check it at the moment, however, those were the first two things I checked when I saw it wasn't working on start.  I will check yet again when I get home.  I'm pretty sure I copied and pasted straight from the wiki.  There aren't two KDE-DEBUG entries in that script are there? Maybe I have it above the wrong one?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:34:21 pm »
 :)
No there is only one. I just know from playing with it and the wiki entry regarding getting the mouse buttons to do the job as well, specifically said before, so I just thought I would check. I hope you get it resolved. Please post your findings, or fixes. Having a good forum is a must for an excellent Media/House platform.  :)

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:13:14 pm »
Forgot to check last night, got distracted.  However, I did remember that I am setting up this remote on a Diskless MD.  I have added the changes to both the core and the MD, but have not rebooted the Core since the change.  This seems like a local change not a global change.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:55:18 pm »
Well, I fixed my issue but I'm not sure what exactly resolved the issue.  I did two changes, but neither were geared at fixing the remote.

1. I rebuilt the Diskless image for the Media Director using the Admin website.
  a. Re-added xmodmap to the startup script
2. I Rebooted the Core.
  -I had previously added the xmodmap changes to the Core Startup.

I'm not sure if the xmodmap changes are required on the Core so maybe that did something.  I may have had other configuration issues holding the xmodmap from starting up properly and redoing the Diskless image may have fixed that.