Author Topic: Emulation of Playstation (2) or other game systems  (Read 4526 times)

bongbastic

• View Profile
Emulation of Playstation (2) or other game systems
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:51:37 am »
It would be great if one would:
  • be able to play Playstation games upon inserting game disc (or loading it from database)
  • simply connect Dual Shock 3 or Wiimote etc.
  • be able to launch games from unified interface be it native Linux/Playstation or other games and play them through thin clients (unforeseen!)

There are mature emulators out there. Even Playstation 2 emulation is possible (less mature) on strong hardware. PCSX emulating Playstation 1 on the other hand should not even need original BIOS file.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Emulation of Playstation (2) or other game systems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:15:07 am »
I am in the process of writing a media plugin for games. It currently supports MAME, and I am systematically adding support for other systems (this is more difficult than  just hanging an emulator off the end...trust me.) ... Playstation support is in the works, but I am trying to solve a number of issues, before I get beyond the initial MAME support.

-Thom

bongbastic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:00:52 am »
I do believe you. I guess it must be hard to force them under a new interface.
What will be the Playstation emulator in charge? PCSX?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:49:11 am »
most likely. however, it will also take major changes to Disk_Drive (assuming this is even possible), to detect the disk, and to send the appropriate media handler messages to the Game plugin... orbiter user interfaces also need to be built, as well as a new media player wrapper...

-Thom

tailspower2001

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:19 pm »
You can but you have get into Ubuntu to do so; similar to how we have get into XP Pro or VISTA Basic on Windows MCE.  I use both mostly because I have an need for Windows and need streaming to my X-BOX 360.
If it supported windows media center extenders like the X-BOX 360 then like Windows MCE their wound be no PC in living room; the DISCover My Games PC Gaming Console is about the only resone to have an PC with Windows MCE.