Author Topic: CD/DVD Burning Functionality  (Read 5219 times)

IOU

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
CD/DVD Burning Functionality
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:12:03 am »
Would this be a viable addition to LinuxMCE?

The ability to pop in a blank CD/DVD, and be able to burn Audio CD's and Data CD/DVD's (Both music files and Video files. As some DVD players support DIVX files on a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM). And the ability to take a vido file and Author a basic Video DVD?

Cheers

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: CD/DVD Burning Functionality
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:14:24 pm »
yes, but I don't want to see it as some sort of duct taped addition on the side of LinuxMCE. If it's going to be done, it needs to be done AS a component of the system, with a full orbiter UI, that integrated with the Media Plugin.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:49:28 pm »
In the mean time, the KDE desktop has K3b installed already.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:32:53 pm »
One of the things I have been missing since my conversion from mythtv is archiving videos to DVD.  The ability to generate a DVD playable media in a quick and user friendly method was very nice to have. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:44:23 pm »
the scaffolding for such functionality is present throughout the system, it's just not implemented at all.. but the system has a concept of blank media, and thus could be used to trigger a series of screens from Manage Drives to burn discs...

This is especially poignant in that not only could single drives do this, but jukeboxes that have workable DVD+R/W+RAM drives, such as the Sony VGP-XL1B3 could then be used as burnable devices.

-Thom

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:19:29 pm »
That's pretty cool.  I hope someone will be able to fill out that functionality in the not too distant future.  I could see myself investing in a jukebox like that if I was able to import and export Video DVDs in that manner.

tailspower2001

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:45 pm »
I have to boot into Windows MCE to do that because I all redly have Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements under Windows MCE + I needed the power of them for my needs and Crossover Linux may be to show evan with 2GB of RAM and a dual core 4.0 GHZ CPU for this kind of apps to run under Eumluation.   
For now because of the copy protection on Hollywood DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs it looks like It'll be burning then under Windows until they fix their wagon.   

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:23:38 am »
uh, okay then.

-Thom