Author Topic: 0710 RC2, Windows shares mounting but media not showing up  (Read 10821 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 0710 RC2, Windows shares mounting but media not showing up
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:14 am »
4. Yes, it can still access the Internet as long as its setup properly.
5. Yes - in fact this is true for both 4 and 5, of course.

You can always go for a very low energy box for your core and leave it on. It really doesn't have to be very beefy for basic stuff, especially if you are just experimenting...

bbear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:29 am »
Thanks for the clarification, I think that I am going to go for 4. for now.

If I refer to the Wiki for ‘Internal LAN setup’ it says that the
“internal” LinuxMCE LAN “will have it’s own (different” IP range, in contrast. For example, if you have used the default setup options, that IP range will be 192.168.80.1 to 192.168.80.254. The Core server will be 192.168.80.1. The rest of the internal LinucMCE LAN connects to the Core through the second NIC card you installed in the core”

So, given the above I think that I would need to connect my Linksys router to the motherboards on-board NIC (as it is currently). However, going by what you told me in your earlier message (included below) it sounds like I need to double check how Kubuntu has detected the two NICs and which one is assigned to eth1 and eth0

“So which NIC is which?! That is the key question - whatever Kubuntu detects as eth0 or the "first" NIC must be connected to the external network. The second NIC it discovers will be eth1 and must be connected to the internal network.”

My question is whether I actually need to fit that NIC card in my core at all? Do I need to have the 2nd NIC installed for LMCE to know that I have an ‘Internal’ and an ‘External’ NIC available? What does it default to if I only have one NIC, is that then forced to be the ‘Internal’ NIC and always provide an IP via the DHCP server in the core?

I guess that it doesn’t really matter if I am forced to use that plug-in Ethernet NIC card. Except that it will be taking up one of the two available Pci slots on my motherboard (I have an ASUS M2NPV). To avoid tying up a Pci slot I could try getting a Pci-E NIC card but I am not sure it if it would run under Linux.

Finally, probably a stupid idea, but I was just thinking if I could use a Wireless bridge in some creative way (I recall seeing a pointer to a Netgear on a Wiki page which runs under Linux).
Would I be able to have this on the ‘Internal’ side, but connect to it from my Windows box by specifying the correct wireless AP? Or would I still have a conflict as I have a DHCP server on the ‘External’ side (i.e. Linksys router) and also one on the ‘Internal’ side (ie LMCE core)? And if this is possible, would it enable my LMCE box to find the media on my Windows share?

Thanks again for your help

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:21 am »
Its been ages since I have looked at single NIC setups, so I recommend you research it (esp on the Wiki but also here) there are many threads about it. Essentially, you will end up with with 2 different subnets on the same physical LAN segment, and thus they are in the same "broadcast domain" - this means you cannot have any other DHCP server on. So you will have to turn off the broadband router's DHCP and set your PCs with static IPs (otherwise they will get "internal" IP addresses).

Yes, remove the second NIC for simplicity, then it will assign correctly. It will create a second sub-interface or logical interface to be the "internal" network. With option 4, you don't need to do anything on that network.

I think KISS, you are only just starting out, I wouldn't play with wireless bridges at this point until you understand the system much better .... you will tie your self in knots!

Stoneman

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »
I am pretty new to LinuxMCE,  I have another PC in my network with a RAID5.

My PC is at home so I can't verify the config. (I can post later if your interested) I am using only 1 NIC

I had to add the workgroup name for my other PC's in my network settings, think it was in other domains.  My LinuxMCE is set to the default workgroup.

Then in the FSTAB file you can add a line to is so it mounts the drive every time the PC starts up. I mounted into the default directory that LinuxMCE looks in locally.  One for video, pics and music.........

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 10:56:23 pm »
Bbear - pls do not follow this other path. It is bypassing the LMCE automounting and autodiscovery and is completely unnecessary. As I said before, get your network setup correctly (which you need to do anyway) and the drive will be discovered and mounted on its own.

This applies to you too stoneman. If it isn't being detected and mounted on its own then you have a network or other setup problem, which you are just masking/band-aiding by doing that, and probably breaking part of the system in the process. The golden rule is, never interfere and mount things manually, fix whatever it is that is stopping it from doing it itself in the first place (ie root cause not symptoms)

Col