Author Topic: Building LinuxMCE System  (Read 4350 times)

maxofmillions

• View Profile
Building LinuxMCE System
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »
I am wanting to build a multimedia system. When i first started exploring this i came across the xbox w/ XBMC and thought that was pretty cool. Then i saw linuxmce and decided this was the way to go. I currently have an LG 42" scarlet lcd and use the Dishtv pvr722. All my programming is HD. The pc i want to use is an Acer Aspire ast180 which got a pretty decent review here http://www.linux.com/feature/60831 with 4g of ram and i have a couple 500g external hd's. I guess my first question is i don't exactly understand how to integrate the hd satellite signal into this. I also have a couple of mac g5's. i use one for internet stuff and the other for video editing of home movies. I am also open to the idea of using one of the linux video editors. So on my external harddrives i would have home movies, ripped dvd's, pictures, music. What else do i need.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Building LinuxMCE System
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »
Welcome

Start with the FAQ
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ
read it twice and then post your questions.

TIm
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

maxofmillions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »
ok...printed out all 12 pages and read it 3 times.....my question is does anyone have experience/a preference on whether to run the hd satellite through the core or not....what would be the advantage or disadvantage....the dvr works great so should i just let this be kind of a standalone by itself and integrate all my other media...thanks...randy

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:47 pm »
LinuxMCE can with proper equipment, control virtually all of your AV equipment. At the minimum, you need an IR blaster. We use the USB UIRT for this purpose, with IR emitters such as the Xantech 286 double emitters attached to each of your AV devices...

Once you have your TV, cable box, etc. connected, you can teach LMCE how to control those devices by making templates. Then you can tell LMCE how these devices are connected (to which inputs do you have these devices connected on your TV, your amp, etc.), and LMCE will provide scenario buttons on the Media menu to activate and control them, and button presses for Volume/Channel, etc, will go to the right devices.

This will work for now, until we can get support for the ONE existing digitizer that can digitize component video at up to 1080i integrated into the next release of the system.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »
If your satellite is unencrypted OR your provider allows you to decrypt with your own hardware (eg DVB-S and CI/CAM) then a better option is to put a DVB-S card into the core and take the stream directly/digitally in - that way you do not need to digitise (and potentially loose quality) and still distribute the stream wherever you want around the house.

maxofmillions

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:51:29 pm »
i don't believe that is possible with dish satellite tv...and that was the crux of my question i guess was running the hdtv through the core...i now use hdmi from my receiver to my flatpanel....

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:16:21 am »
erm I think it is actually possible, technically, with Dish, however not legal so cannot be discussed here.

In any case, you realistically have 2 options - 1) control your STB and 2) digitise the output.

Pros:

Control allows you to maintain full quality by keeping the signals going direct to your TV/Amp, yet control the STB/TV/Amp through LMCE, so that when you choose live TV, it will switch the TV/AMP inputs to your STB, and control the channel/volume up/down through the LMCE interfaces (remote, web pad, mobile phone, etc) leaving you with an apparently fully integrated system with single control interface

Digitise allows you to bring the video and audio streams into LMCE so that it can redistribute them to any MD around your house, record them, etc.

Cons:

Control will only allow you to view Sat on in the one entertainment area, ie not redistribute the media around the house to other MDs

Digitise will likely loose some of your quality as you are typically converting from digital to analogue back to digital again.

Only capturing with a DVB-S card will allow you to realise both Pros and avoid both Cons.

maxofmillions

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 04:17:14 am »
well that might not be so bad....the satellite receiver is a dual tuner so it will play different channels on two tv's or watch one channel and record another on the dvr