Author Topic: Setting up ir blasting for a TV  (Read 4128 times)

Travis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Setting up ir blasting for a TV
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:41:16 am »
I am a little confused about setting up my usb-uirt to control my tv. I couldn't use the section in the setup wizard because my tv (Hitachi  50ux53k) is not on the list. I am reading stuff about learning mode, and templates, but I cant figure any of it out. How do I setup a ir code template and/or test codes out? Thanks a bunch in advance.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up ir blasting for a TV
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:12:05 am »
You need to set up a device template for your tv. After you have one, it will be an available option in the wizard.

To do this, log into the web admin by typing 192.168.80.1 into a web browser, then log in.
There are a few ways to do this, but i nomally go to Advanced->Configuration->Device Templates.
Now use the drop-down to select the manufacturer of your TV, then select the category of Tvs/Plasmas/LCDs/Projectors < AV, and hit Apply filter. Now you can  look at all of the choices for that manufacturer in the Device Template drop down to make sure your tv isn't on the list. If it isn't, then hit the Add Device Template to make a new one. Simply fill out the information in the wizard that follows - its actually pretty easy once you've done one.

Travis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:26:07 am »
Thanks this definitely looks like were I needed to be. I am getting stuck at one of the steps however, pictured below:

It says there are 46 code packs, but it only shows one and it has no data to test.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:43:59 pm »
yes, looks like a bug to me - I will check that out

What you can do is just hit the Add I/R Group Button, then it will ask you to give it a name, and learn IR codes from your remote

Travis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:20 pm »
Ok, I will give that a try. Re-trying making the template has led to a new problem also. I now have more than one 50ux53k template. Is there a way to delete templates? All I can find is deleting devices.

Travis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 10:30:02 pm »
Ok so I think i know where my transmit/learn problems are coming from.

I noticed here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4281.msg24730#msg24730
that I need to be sending to "USB UIRT 0038", but mine is setup to "USB UIRT Embedded Transmit". I hooked up the USB-UIRT to my windows box and ran lrnhelper.exe to test out code learning/sending, and it works great. I was able to turn my tv on and off, mess with volume, etc. I also now have the correct pronto codes, tested and verified from lrnhelper.exe

But in web admin when I send the codes from in the Add i/r group it says its sending to device 51, which is "USB UIRT Embedded Transmit", instead of my device 27 "USB UIRT 0038". The drop down box "Send codes to device" only offers "USB UIRT Embedded Transmit". How do I change it to use device 27 "USB UIRT 0038"?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:43:57 pm »
no, the embedded transmit is right. Just make sure you're sending to the right dongle in the right room. since the device #s are so far apart, i'm guessing you're sending to the wrong room. :-)

-Thom

Travis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:06:53 am »
Back online :) My router decided that this would be a nice time to break. Sadly me not responding was not because my problems were solved.

I think I have the room/location setup properly, whats a way I can double check that? All of my stuff is in one room, its a hybrid system. I poked around with the uirt some more, and when I send a code in the "test code" area of the web admin, a light on the usburit blinks, so it is receiving my test. Looked around the forums some more, and found a few places that say i386 setups need the usbuirt plug-in/dongle external ir sender to work. Is this still true?