Author Topic: list of ip based contols please?  (Read 13958 times)

ukstation

• View Profile
list of ip based contols please?
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:14 pm »
Hello-  I tried to read the wiki but it is totally unusable.

I am doing a new setup and can rewire everything and so am looking for hardware devices which will allow me
to connect them back to linuxmce via ethernet allowing me to control them via ip.  Where can I find such a list?

I want to note that while linuxmce is really impressive, finding a comprehensive easy to navigate and buy list of compatible wall switches, temp controllers, movable blinds, projector screens, tv mounts and all other hardware
is increasingly frustrating.  I just wend to cedia in London and while there is hardware galore,  a certified compatible with linuxmce logo cannot be found anywhere. Is this because it is all proprietary?  I figured, if a device is controllable via ethernet then thats half the battle the other half is finding this hardware so please help. PS A linuxmce home automation store is even better please help me find one??? THanks!!!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: list of ip based contols please?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:40 pm »
This project is run by volunteers and just because you're clueless, doesn't mean we have to cater to your every whim. 

Instead of whinging about the wiki, your efforts would be better spend to help improve it.  But I guess that would mean actual effort on your part and is probably way over your head.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

ukstation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:55:39 pm »
I see, you and a couple of other 14 year old  developers otherwise known as "we" who have a problem with criticism
think you can hack a few things together and call it an installable release and expect the GENERAL LINUX USER BASE (not developer or coder base) to chip in and help you in order to use it?

Ps. If you can't make something that your average known-nothing USER can actually USE, then what are you doing here?
Make your responses helpful and *professional* or do US (non developers) all a favor and SHUT UP AND DISAPPEAR.

(clapping encouraged people)

This project is run by volunteers and just because you're clueless, doesn't mean we have to cater to your every whim. 

Instead of whinging about the wiki, your efforts would be better spend to help improve it.  But I guess that would mean actual effort on your part and is probably way over your head.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:12:42 pm »
Just FYI - a database of supported devices is being worked on, so this will not be a problem forever.

Also keep in mind that any device that connects via ethernet (or IR, serial, usb etc..) can easily be supported with the GSD implementation. So, just be cause something isn't supported right now, it doesn't mean it won't be or can't be. It just means nobody has tried it yet in most cases.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:48:08 pm »
I see, you and a couple of other 14 year old  developers otherwise known as "we" who have a problem with criticism
think you can hack a few things together and call it an installable release and expect the GENERAL LINUX USER BASE (not developer or coder base) to chip in and help you in order to use it?

Ps. If you can't make something that your average known-nothing USER can actually USE, then what are you doing here?
Make your responses helpful and *professional* or do US (non developers) all a favor and SHUT UP AND DISAPPEAR.

(clapping encouraged people)

LOL, I see one 14 y/o here that can't take criticism... but it's not me.
-- Anonymous

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:39 am »
I'm not supporting the previous comments by ukstation or whatever his name is, but I would encourage you to step back and read your post before pressing the submit button Zaerc as you have personally attacked me recently and now him in a post.  I do agree with him that the wiki needs work and is atm pretty much unusable for most things I've needed it for.  Belittling the userbase is counter productive to the entire project, you never know who the person on the other end of your post is.  For all you know it could be a developer who does not fully understand the methods used, or more likely a user who once they have something partially working will be showing it off to others, thus increasing the odds a developer will see the results and take an interest.  Take this post as face value, it is what it is, my opinion.  Don't bother slamming me with a response, let it rest here because I will not acknowledge this behavior anymore past this point as it will only encourage it to be drug out.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:11:13 am »
many people are working hard on the wiki every day. Just look at the recent changes. It holds tons of information. I got much knowledge from it, simply by hitting "random page" over hundred times. Does it need improvements? Yes, for sure. Do they magically appear without contributions from developers _and_ users? No way.

LinuxMCE is not proprietary. No, there is no LinuxMCE Penguin on every single piece of supported hardware. You can get a complete digital home system without paying license fees or some engineer. So thats free as in beer, but many people seem to ignore the fact that they have to invest time and do at least a bit of research.

It's kind of a strange attitude to shout around: Where is my shopping list for your proprietary thing with that crappy wiki.

Zaercs message pretty much nails it down. Do you miss some sugar and a cherry on top?

Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:15:55 am »
Maybe a Category IP-Based or Ethernet or something like this could help in the wiki.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 02:46:07 pm »
Hello-  I tried to read the wiki but it is totally unusable.

I am doing a new setup and can rewire everything and so am looking for hardware devices which will allow me
to connect them back to linuxmce via ethernet allowing me to control them via ip.  Where can I find such a list?

I want to note that while linuxmce is really impressive, finding a comprehensive easy to navigate and buy list of compatible wall switches, temp controllers, movable blinds, projector screens, tv mounts and all other hardware
is increasingly frustrating.  I just wend to cedia in London and while there is hardware galore,  a certified compatible with linuxmce logo cannot be found anywhere. Is this because it is all proprietary?  I figured, if a device is controllable via ethernet then thats half the battle the other half is finding this hardware so please help. PS A linuxmce home automation store is even better please help me find one??? THanks!!!

Hi,

I attended the CEDIA Expo at Excel this week to ;-)

As others have pointed out LinuxMCE is an open source project... its not a commercial organisation. Some people here like myself actuallly make a living from building/configuring/installing systems and others are driven  by wanting to improve it... and many others want to just install and use it.  The people on this forum come from all walks of life and all levels of experience and everyone is welcome here... so dont be put off!!!

So it depends if your looking to build your system yourself...and are willing to get your 'hands dirty' or if your looking for a pretty much' power it up' and go type solution... or maybe you want to have all of this handled for you. Any and all of those approaches can be achieved you just need to decide which one is for you.

All the best.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 07:28:06 pm »
I'm not supporting the previous comments by ukstation or whatever his name is, but I would encourage you to step back and read your post before pressing the submit button Zaerc as you have personally attacked me recently and now him in a post. 
Oh the drama!  Wait a second, weren't you asking for opinions?  And isn't criticism fun?

I do agree with him that the wiki needs work and is atm pretty much unusable for most things I've needed it for. 
We all had to find our way around there, and some of us actually try to make it easier.  But of course that takes actual effort, which (contrary to popular belief apparently) is not as useful or "productive" as sitting on your arse complaining about it. 

Belittling the userbase is counter productive to the entire project, you never know who the person on the other end of your post is.  For all you know it could be a developer who does not fully understand the methods used, or more likely a user who once they have something partially working will be showing it off to others, thus increasing the odds a developer will see the results and take an interest. 
People who have nothing to offer besides complaints are a lot more counter productive then me pointing out the plate in front of their head.  The reason you cannot see that is because, well... you have a huge plate in front of your head.  Also I find calling yourself and the few "customers" just like you "the userbase" a tad delusional, like that quaint little anecdote about showing it off to increase the chance of developers seeing it, so I was wondering: how is fantasy island this time of year?

Take this post as face value, it is what it is, my opinion.  Don't bother slamming me with a response, let it rest here because I will not acknowledge this behavior anymore past this point as it will only encourage it to be drug out.
The oracle has spoken.  Glad to know that you're the only one entitled to an opinion.  Just out of curiousity, if you don't want to encourage "it to be drug out" so badly, then why get involved in the first place?

-- Anonymous

ASquared21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 05:35:22 am »
Hi,

I would help you find the right IP equiptment but I don't have a clue.

Good Luck,

treaclebeak

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:26 pm »
Thanks for your interest in the project; you may be interested to know that the whole thing is run exclusively by volunteers and we don't (yet!) have the commercial links to get stickers added to compatible products, nor to exhaustively test every piece of available hardware.  The LinuxMCE community develops support for new hardware cooperatively, so if there's a piece of hardware you need help getting to run submit a post - if you're able to offer some sort of compensation for the hours of work that go into developing solutions you may find you get there even quicker!
The wiki too relies on contributions from the community - if there are particular pages you had difficulty with please use the 'Discussion' tab to suggest ways to improve clarity.  To get the most out of LinuxMCE, and the community, you'll need to put a little bit in :)

Zaerc, you're a pus-dripping bell-end that needs to learn to act like an adult.  Somebody believed from the info available on the web that LinuxMCE was a fully-fledged commercial product sizable enough to get "-compatible" stickers on hardware.  A pretty silly assumption I grant you but that's no excuse for your reply, and if you spent less time lambasting newbs for thinking of this project as a professional organization maybe you'd find the time for some 'whims' - like a list of hardware LinuxMCE actually works with.  Maybe you could even get organized enough that building a home around the system actually sounds viable.

I'm surprised and appalled that the other mods/ admins think that your behavior is appropriate for an admin; if this is the sort of support people can expect from representatives of LinuxMCE they'll go elsewhere and this project will slowly wither and rot.  Your reply reads like you were already in a pi55y mood and were looking for an excuse to rant at someone - just because your little boyfriend wouldn't let you play with his wing-wong doesn't make it okay, m'kay?  The LinuxMCE team should think seriously before letting you continue any sort of public association with this project. IMHO, like.

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:27:05 pm by treaclebeak »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:34:07 pm »
treaclebeak - this thread is very old, I fail to see any value in you dredging this up again, and it is a point of fact that there was no actual forum moderation happening at that time, nor was there a forum Charter to base moderation on. I have no interest in digging up the past and attempting to apply today's moderation values to it... this recent post adds no value, is pointless, off topic and likely to generate unnecessary angst... locking...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 12:13:29 am »
Thanks for your interest in the project; you may be interested to know that the whole thing is run exclusively by volunteers and we don't (yet!) have the commercial links to get stickers added to compatible products, nor to exhaustively test every piece of available hardware.  The LinuxMCE community develops support for new hardware cooperatively, so if there's a piece of hardware you need help getting to run submit a post - if you're able to offer some sort of compensation for the hours of work that go into developing solutions you may find you get there even quicker!
The wiki too relies on contributions from the community - if there are particular pages you had difficulty with please use the 'Discussion' tab to suggest ways to improve clarity.  To get the most out of LinuxMCE, and the community, you'll need to put a little bit in :)

Zaerc, you're a pus-dripping bell-end that needs to learn to act like an adult.  Somebody believed from the info available on the web that LinuxMCE was a fully-fledged commercial product sizable enough to get "-compatible" stickers on hardware.  A pretty silly assumption I grant you but that's no excuse for your reply, and if you spent less time lambasting newbs for thinking of this project as a professional organization maybe you'd find the time for some 'whims' - like a list of hardware LinuxMCE actually works with.  Maybe you could even get organized enough that building a home around the system actually sounds viable.

I'm surprised and appalled that the other mods/ admins think that your behavior is appropriate for an admin; if this is the sort of support people can expect from representatives of LinuxMCE they'll go elsewhere and this project will slowly wither and rot.  Your reply reads like you were already in a pi55y mood and were looking for an excuse to rant at someone - just because your little boyfriend wouldn't let you play with his wing-wong doesn't make it okay, m'kay?  The LinuxMCE team should think seriously before letting you continue any sort of public association with this project. IMHO, like.

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Thank you for your "contribution", and nice first post!  Way to go, you certainly are setting the bar high there. ;D
-- Anonymous