Author Topic: Installing LinuxMCE on Client (IGEL)  (Read 3462 times)

AutomateMe

• View Profile
Installing LinuxMCE on Client (IGEL)
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:30:13 pm »
Dear LinuxMCE,

I am setting up a new LinuxMCE system in my house while rebuilding some sections.
For this i am using a normal server and two clients, although one of these clients i would like to use a Igel 3200 Compact, which is a Linux based client.

What does the client require to install a client system of LinuxMCE and in such case how is it done easiest?

Thanks in advance for those who reply on my question.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Installing LinuxMCE on Client (IGEL)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:21:11 pm »
AutomateMe.
Dear LinuxMCE,

I am setting up a new LinuxMCE system in my house while rebuilding some sections.
For this i am using a normal server and two clients, although one of these clients i would like to use a Igel 3200 Compact, which is a Linux based client.

What does the client require to install a client system of LinuxMCE and in such case how is it done easiest?

Thanks in advance for those who reply on my question.

The Igel client is built with via chipset(600-1000MHz CPU) and their integrated graphics.
There numerous problems with lmce and via graphics.

Unless you willing to develop a better via driver, forget about the Igel client if you want to use it to watch video.

You can probably use the Igel client as an "orbiter only" client with UI1. Haven´t tried it on my Igel yet.
Don´t have time. Tried to make mythbuntu work on it earlier without success. Could see video but it was lagging a lot.

/niz23

AutomateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:26:34 pm »
Hi niz23,

Thats not a problem, i was suspecting problems with the graphics chipset, although i am only using this as a controlling unit (orbieter).
Can i use the 128mb flashdisk or perhaps a USB flash unit of a kind?

If so, how is the procedure to install the orbieter?

Lets hope someone makes a working VIA driver for the unit in the future. :-)

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:07:14 pm »
Hi niz23,

Thats not a problem, i was suspecting problems with the graphics chipset, although i am only using this as a controlling unit (orbieter).
Can i use the 128mb flashdisk or perhaps a USB flash unit of a kind?

If so, how is the procedure to install the orbieter?

Lets hope someone makes a working VIA driver for the unit in the future. :-)

From what I know Igel Compact support PXE boot.
You must to have at least 512MB of RAM in border to make it boot over LAN.
Igel use standard sodimm cards. See what type you have inside and buy a bigger one with the specification.

The best would be if you could get a WinCE image for your client if you only goint to use it as a orbiter.

Send me a PM. I can help you to get a WinCE image.

/niz23