Author Topic: 0710 RC2 - Fast forward jumps backwards occasionally...  (Read 2700 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
0710 RC2 - Fast forward jumps backwards occasionally...
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:02:35 am »
Has anybody notice in 0710RC2 (i386 and AMD64, confirmed) that for some DVDs - perhaps all under certain circumstances, and perhaps in video media files, too - when fast forwarding (x2, x4, x8, x16, etc) and you hit play again it sometimes jumps backwards? Sometimes quite a long way (over a minute) and usually to the same spot in any one section. Haven't confirmed it, but it maybe jumping back to a chapter mark...?

Its really annoying because it is difficult to get around. I have seen it in several titles so far, and Southlands Tales is definitely one of them, paritcularly in the last chapter mark when I try to fast forward to the credits it always jumps back to the last scene. I have rebuilt as i386 and AMD64 under 0710RC2 and both do the same thing....

If anybody has seen this or can confirm the behaviour can you please post here and I will formalise it in a Mantis?

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 0710 RC2 - Fast forward jumps backwards occasionally...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:45:19 am »
Hey Colin,

Yep - I have noticed that, though not for a week or two. From memory it seemed to me it was more when using the gyro and trying to 'fast' fast-forward, e.g. x50. It would then jump back a few scenes after I clicked the left mouse (play) button.

I can't recall if this stopped after my recent re-install (to RC2) or if it was only a few specific DVDs that I have not played since... I'll try a couple when I get home and post if I can duplicate again.

On a side note - I noticed that some media (e.g. Recorded HD TV) doesn't allow fast forwarded over about x12 - or at least the cursor moves but it doesn't get any faster. You noticed this?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:13:32 am »
wombiroller -

For me it is most noticable when just hitting the fast forward button (not using gyro) - I have also notice that at least in these DVDs the counter in the top right doesn't seem to update very frequently (may have only just noticed as I am analysing the effect in more detail now!) I have been using 0704, 0710b2/3/4 and RC1 and 2 over the last 6 months, but have only noticed it since RC2, it definitely never used to happen ... although I confess that if it is limited to a subset of DVDs, and I don't use DVDs all that often, then I may not have noticed it in earlier versions. But it seems significant that I am seeing it frequently now. I will have to go through some more DVDs - extremely anecdotally(!) it may be more pronounced the further into the DVD I get, although that could just be coincidence or my imagination!

I will also have to check media files more extensively - I am watching one now, and it isn't doing it.... perhaps an absence of chapter markers? Again, the chapter relationship is entirely assumption at the moment.

Can't comment on the TV question, I am not running TV through my system at the moment as the jerky video is unbearable. On the few occasions I have done this AND recorded something it has always been VDR and I have had difficulty getting it fastforward/rewind at all - just seems to drop out and stop completely. Or do you just mean media files generally?

If the latter, x2, x4, x8, x16, x32 and x64 all work fine for me (there is no x12 that I have seen, not from the button press perspective, although I haven't checked using the jog/shuttle recently). But on video sources were the primary frames are far and few between (heavily compressed) fast forward and rewind always have difficulty as they have to jump from primary to primary, so you get this back and forward jittering for a second or two at slow speeds before it moves on to another pair of frames. Artifact of compression - but you should never see this on recorded TV that hasn't been re-transcoded as the frames are pretty frequent for DVB-T...

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:21 am »
Just tried 7-8 ripped DVDs and have been unable to duplicate again (tried using both the n810 orbiter and gyro remote). One DVD dropped out completely when i tried to fast-forward by x200 and some DVDs don't allow me to skip chapters via the chapter chooser (just goes back to the very start of the DVD) but I think this is because I have moved the .DVD file and lost the dvd.keys.tar.gz file in the process. Other than that all seems well for me currently. If I come across it again i'll be sure to test/document more thoroughly.

Re the limited fast forward - it is when watching recorded TV via normal video browser (not via Myth or PVR). It is a 13GB HD recording of the MotoGP (with some quality issues because I still haven't got that fixed! >:() that is yet to be transcoded to a more manageable size. No biggy, just thought i'd mention it. Oh and you're right - there is no x12, just meant around that speed.