Author Topic: MD works, but MythTV fails to auto launch, then exits after 30-45 seconds  (Read 12876 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: MD works, but MythTV fails to auto launch, then exits after 30-45 seconds
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 08:34:24 am »
esev,

if LinuxMCE is not managing MythTV, LinuxMCE has no idea of what kind of settings are used.

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:54:46 pm »
Thanks for the response posde.  When I initially setup LinuxMCE, the setup recommended having MythTV not auto configured by LinuxMCE.  I think this is due to not having a XML guide source for Canada.  Would it be possible to have a 'Autoconfigure MythTV except for guide data' option that configures all the input/capture cards and all the settings except for the lineup/guide/channel options?
Eric Severance
My setup

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 07:14:34 pm »
Look at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ they provide lots of guide data for US/Canada and it integrates directly into mythtv.  It's well worth the small subscription fee!

J.

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 07:44:36 pm »
Thanks for mentioning that.  I ended up using schedulesdirect and everything on the backend (on my hybrid/core) works great.  But because Canada isn't supported in the LinuxMCE setup, I had to configure MythTV manually rather than letting LinuxMCE auto configure everything for me.

Later, when I created my MDs, MythTV wouldn't auto launch on the MDs and exited after about a minute.  From the responses I've received, it appears that if you cannot complete the LinuxMCE MythTV setup (and end up choosing Don't Auto Configure option) the mythfrontend settings needed for LinuxMCE to control MythTV on the MDs are never configured.  LinuxMCE then kills the mythfrontend after about a minute because it cannot be controlled.  Configuring the "Network Control Port" option manually on the MD solves this issue for me.

I'll look into what it would take to get the initial setup working for Canada using SchedulesDirect.  But it would be nice if there was also an option in LinuxMCE to auto configure everything in MythTV except for the guide data or tuner inputs.

I'm hesitant to just disable the "Don't Auto Configure" option because of the troubles another user had: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10699.msg73671#msg73671
Eric Severance
My setup

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 08:34:32 pm »
Ah, I see.  I am in the same boat here and perform manual setups of my inputs because there is no 'standard' for cable broadcasters and no easy/legal way to receive satellite directly, only through settop boxes and capture cards.  It seems to me that the basic mythtv control information should still be setup for MDs even if the capture cards/input devices need manual setup...  I havn't tried mythtv on an MD since alpha.

J.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »
Configuring the "Network Control Port" option manually on the MD solves this issue for me.
Where can this option be found?
TIA,
Paulo

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:40 pm »
If I remember correctly (I'm not in front of my setup right now), I found it after launching MythTV on the Media Director.  It was in the on screen MythTV Settings>General>General menu.  I remember I had to press Next 3-4 times before reaching the setting.  Enabling the Network Control Port and setting it to 10001 fixed this issue for me.  Beware though, I had to do this quickly as LinuxMCE will kill MythTV after about a minute until this setting was in place.
Eric Severance
My setup

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 10:01:38 pm »
Thx! Solved my problem. To avoid the short time, you can also go to KDE, launch mythfrontend from console and change it there.
I just wonder why this is not enabled by default.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:27:48 pm by pw44 »

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »
Glad to help.  Good advice on launching from KDE.  Thanks!

Is this related to your Trac ticket?
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/831
Eric Severance
My setup

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:58 pm »
Yes, it's related to my ticket. I changed the ticket, giving your solution.
I guess it's a bug introduced during the last 8 months, because i did not had this problem before, even updating and upgrading frequently.
Thx again.

P.S. I did enable Dont Auto Configure and it's working fine.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:27:17 pm by pw44 »