Author Topic: Best mobile orbiter? (cell phone)  (Read 2870 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Best mobile orbiter? (cell phone)
« on: June 24, 2008, 03:47:24 pm »
Now that there are options with Symbian MO and Java MO - i'm in the market for a new cell phone. But now I have some questions -
Which is the best cell phone to get? For instance, Symbian orbiter can show streaming video from your cameras - can JavaMO do this as well?
Can both SymbianMO and JavaMO be used over bluetooth, wifi and gprs?

Basicaly, is there still any kind of advantage the SymbianMO has over JavaMO at this point?

Anyone using the Nokia E65? The built-in VOIP phone is quite interesting...

any comments appreciated

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Best mobile orbiter? (cell phone)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:21:27 pm »
I use a Nokia N70 (which runs Symbian S60v2)

As for streaming video. it's not really streaming video...

when inside the house, the orbiter's camera displays are updated periodically and refreshed...when outside the house, only stills are shown (this is more of a bandwidth issue than anything else)

-Thom

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:25:27 pm »
Hi
I'm using Nokia E65 built in VoIP client, and it is working great with LMCE/Asterisk. If you search wiki you'll find how to configure both phone cell and Asterisk in order to use it as a cordless home phone.

E65 has Symbian v3 so regular orbiter won't work, but shortly I will move from 704 to 710 and will definitely give JavaMO a try. I think there are no reasons why it should not work.

IMHO the general advantage in using JavaMO instead of Symbian MO is that the latter requires an old version of Symbian while the former runs on an increasing number of devices and is basically platform independent (runs on Nokia as well as on BlackBerry and many others)

That's of course my 0,02

HTH
Marco

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:30:07 pm »
I guess one of the important questions is : where will they work? is it only in bluetooth range? It seems to me that the Symbian version will work remotely over gprs - does JavaMO do the same, or is it limited to just bluetooth?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:51:15 pm »
vmc parsing currently isn't implemeted in javaMO, but it will be eventually.

-Thom