Author Topic: Aspect ratio issues in AVWizard?  (Read 2030 times)

babelfish

• First post!
    • View Profile
Aspect ratio issues in AVWizard?
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:43:04 am »
After wrestling with getting AVWizard to work at all for a while, I finally got it running.

Unfortunately, if I select a widescreen resolution, it increases the resolution while leaving my display in 4:3 (squeezed into the center of the TV).  That is to say, when I get to the "final" screen of the AVWizard, it lists my resolution (correctly) as 1080p, but lists my aspect ratio as 4:3.  Once I get out of AVWizard, my desktop is, for lack of a better term, squished -- totally incomprehensible, can't even read the text on the screen.

I know my TV accepts 1080p from a computer, as I've done it in Windows (on this exact computer).

Halp? :(

(I've tried 720p as well, since the help page on the AVWizard suggests that 1080 may have issues.)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Aspect ratio issues in AVWizard?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:12:18 am »
I can tell you that the AV Wizard always says 4:3 on the final screen, so its not that ... coincidence... I know confusing, don't know why it does that, but always has for me in every version. Perhaps due to the way TV widescreen is transmitted inside a 4:3 timing window, but hardly self explanitory.

Perhaps your display mode timings are screwed up. You didn't say how you are connecting to, and what your display is. If it is VGA, DVI or HDMI, you could try turning on EDID in your xorg file. Or perhaps looking up your display on the Myth modeline database and creating a custom one. Finally, take a looking at your /var/log/xorg.0.log file as this may give some clues in the warnings or errors. Either way we need more info before we can help further.

Col