Author Topic: Controlling TV channels of a external digital tv box  (Read 3594 times)

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
Controlling TV channels of a external digital tv box
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:55:37 pm »
Hi all

Here in Switzerland to watch digital tv we have a box which we use by a remote controll and we connect to the tv by scart or antenna cable or something else. Now if I want to install a dvb-c tv card in my core system and then I want to watch tv on the media director, how do I controll the channels if the core is sitting in a different room? The box has no RS232 connection - is this a problem?
A pointer to the right section in a LMCE manual would be great, cause I cant find info about this point.
Need more iformation? Just tell me.

Thanks in advance for any help
cheers
Roberto

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling TV channels of a external digital tv box
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:27:54 am »
Here in Switzerland to watch digital tv we have a box which we use by a remote controll and we connect to the tv by scart or antenna cable or something else. Now if I want to install a dvb-c tv card in my core system and then I want to watch tv on the media director, how do I controll the channels if the core is sitting in a different room? The box has no RS232 connection - is this a problem?
A pointer to the right section in a LMCE manual would be great, cause I cant find info about this point.
Need more iformation? Just tell me.

I think you'd be looking at IR Blasting. There is lots of information in the forums and wiki about this.

These links may be handy:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/TuneToChannel.sh

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB_UIRT

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:34:33 pm »
Thanks for the help

So if I understand well i need to connect the USB UIRT by usb to the core/hybrid and then when I for example issue a command from an orbiter the USB UIRT will send it to my external box? Could it be possible that it would not work with any/with my box cause I am not in the US or OK?
Was that all or...
...Do I have to follow what is written about TuneToChannel.sh ? Cause as a linux newbi I understand very few of it.
And the i read something about "how to get the USB-UIRT to actually learn codes".

I I am not asking for a tutorial. I just want to make sure I invest my money in something that works , and i want to understand how it works before i buy it and if all this is possible for a non linux pro.

thanks in advance
Roberto

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:54 pm »
So if I understand well i need to connect the USB UIRT by usb to the core/hybrid and then when I for example issue a command from an orbiter the USB UIRT will send it to my external box?

Yep, and when that works, the world is a wonderful place! This works even if you're watching LiveTV on a different computer... if it's pulling the feed off that box, the channels will also be changed on that box.

Could it be possible that it would not work with any/with my box cause I am not in the US or UK?

Yep, success sometimes can be a coin toss.

Perhaps you specify (if you haven't already) exactly what cable box you're dealing with, and where (city/country) and maybe somebody here in the forums can be very specific for you.

...Do I have to follow what is written about TuneToChannel.sh ? Cause as a linux newbi I understand very few of it.
And the i read something about "how to get the USB-UIRT to actually learn codes".

Yes, once you have the USB-UIRT installed, you will then add your cable box as a part of your A/V Equipment. If there isn't a template for that particular device, you can create one, and have the system "learn" the IR codes, to control your cable box, by using the web admin wizards... you will be able to have it "record" the IR signal for all your numbers, the enter key, etc.

Once you have that template created, jump into the A/V Wizard from the GUI and tell Sarah what connections are going where (I found it easier to do it from there).

Then, when you find the deviceID of your cable box, and the sourceID for your program guide, you can put that TuneToChannel command into the MythTV Setup program, under Inputs...

And then, magically, when you are watching TV and change channels, it should send the correct signals to the cable box, so it changes to the correct channel.

It's amazing when you see it all work.

sdredwingsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:14:25 pm »
is there anywhere else i can get the source id?  i dont get the same output as on the wiki.  Thanks in advance.

mysql -u root mythconverg

select * from videosource;
| sourceid | name       | xmltvgrabber     | userid    | freqtable | lineupid  | password | useeit |
|        9 | Provider 4 | schedulesdirect1 | XXXXXXXXX | default   | TN41505:X | XXXXXXXX |      0 |
Hybrid/Core: Chenbro PC40523, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core, SILVERSTONE NT07, SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB SATA, PVR-150 Tuner, XFX GeForce 6200 Graphics Card, Openfiler NAS 3TB Raid5

sdredwingsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:53 pm »
disregard, i just guessed & got it to work.  unfortunately, the channel changing wasnt correctly sync'd with the box.  Then i found this link and violaaaa !!!  just like its supposed to work

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Updating_Channel_Lineup

Code: [Select]
$ mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates
Hybrid/Core: Chenbro PC40523, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core, SILVERSTONE NT07, SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB SATA, PVR-150 Tuner, XFX GeForce 6200 Graphics Card, Openfiler NAS 3TB Raid5