Author Topic: MP3 ripping failed  (Read 969 times)

struggler

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
MP3 ripping failed
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:33:10 pm »
Hello,

I'm having lots of Ripping failures only when ripping in MP3 format.
When I get these errors I rip the same media in WAV or OGG formats without problems. Altough I still prefer to have everything in MP3.

Does anyone know which is the relevant log files for these problem?

Thanks
Jorge

jondecker76

  • Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • *
  • Posts: 763
    • View Profile
Re: MP3 ripping failed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »
if you are going to rip to .mp3 make sure you have lame installed - last I tested it, I got ripping working to .mp3 by just installing that one package

colinjones

  • Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • *
  • Posts: 3003
    • View Profile
Re: MP3 ripping failed
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:14:58 am »
In 0710RC2 lame is installed by default, not sure about RC1. If you aren't using RC2 then from a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install lame

Then reload the router, select mp3 in the web admin and away you go. Better yet, upgrade to RC2 as this is the release version and is the currently supported one going forward anyway.

struggler

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Re: MP3 ripping failed
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:43:34 pm »
I'm using RC2 and I'm able to rip in mp3 some CD's although it is frequent to get ripping error messages on some CD's.

Firstly I thought that it could be the media or even read errors on my DVD player but when I rip the same media on the same DVD player into other format (like wav) it works.

Could it be some lame bug, can I troubleshoot it?

thanks

colinjones

  • Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • *
  • Posts: 3003
    • View Profile
Re: MP3 ripping failed
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:46:43 pm »
Really don't know what to suggest then, never seen that before. LMCE uses CDParanoia to actually do the rip, and this has extensive error correction and scratch removal stuff, which is why it rips so slowly. Perhaps you could try ripping these at the command line to see what kind of error-out you are getting when it fails. You may have to grep all the scripts for the exact command it runs (or a dev might chime in here) then simulate the same command with more verbose logging.

BTW - in the past I have had numerous problems ripping DVDs to remote file shares (XP), just bombs out shortly after starting. Never found out why, it doesn't seem to do it any more, and it was DVDs not CDs, but maybe give that a try - rip to the core...

struggler

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Re: MP3 ripping failed
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:48:24 am »
Really don't know what to suggest then, never seen that before. LMCE uses CDParanoia to actually do the rip, and this has extensive error correction and scratch removal stuff, which is why it rips so slowly. Perhaps you could try ripping these at the command line to see what kind of error-out you are getting when it fails. You may have to grep all the scripts for the exact command it runs (or a dev might chime in here) then simulate the same command with more verbose logging.

BTW - in the past I have had numerous problems ripping DVDs to remote file shares (XP), just bombs out shortly after starting. Never found out why, it doesn't seem to do it any more, and it was DVDs not CDs, but maybe give that a try - rip to the core...

Colin,
Thank you for the feedback. You gave a nice suggestion.
Do you have any idea how to use command line to rip CD's? Is there any log files for CD ripping processes?

Thanks

colinjones

  • Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • *
  • Posts: 3003
    • View Profile
Re: MP3 ripping failed
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:35:50 pm »
When I go:
linuxmce@dcerouter:/usr/pluto/bin$ grep -H cdparanoia *

I get:
ripDiskWrapper.sh:              command='nice -n 15 cdparanoia -e -d "$sourceDevice" "$Track" - 2> '"$ProgressOutput"' > '"$OutputFile"

So I guess ripDiskWrapper.sh is the script that kicks it off. There could be others in other directories, not really sure how it hangs together. You can get help with "man cdparanoia" and it looks like it has a -v verbose option. But note that the std-err is redirected, so you may need to kick the command off at the command line to see the errors...