General > Developers

How is Mplayer launched?

<< < (2/2)

tschak909:
and again, you can't..because the mplayer engine is hard-coded to be launched from  Xine_Plugin (as a redirect of sorts) when certain media types are found...this is currently hard coded logic thrown in at the last minute so that blu-ray/hd-dvd playback works correctly..

-Thom

jeangot:
Thom,
thanks for the clarification. That makes me feel much better because it means that you guys are aware of a problem to playback HD and we can expect some progess there in future versions.

The way I "force" Mplayer currently for certain files is by simply renaming my files into .evo for example. Is that not a legitimate way to do it currently (besides me trying to recompile Xine_Plugin with some changes as to files extensions) ?

Maybe I should ask you about my actual problem of not being able to seek in files greater than ? Gb. Do you build Mplayer with the option --enable-largefiles currently?

Jean

darrenmason:

--- Quote from: tschak909 on June 24, 2008, 06:45:27 am ---and again, you can't..because the mplayer engine is hard-coded to be launched from  Xine_Plugin (as a redirect of sorts) when certain media types are found...this is currently hard coded logic thrown in at the last minute so that blu-ray/hd-dvd playback works correctly..

-Thom

--- End quote ---

Wow, what a mess... Out of interest is someone working on this, perhaps the person that put it in.
There comment implies they recognise it as a hack...

--- Code: ---    // hack: redirect MOV, EVO, M2TS files to MPlayer_Player
    // TODO rework Media Dispatcher to make it more clear - later

--- End code ---

I really get put off when I look at the Xine code - it just scares me a bit too much.

jeangot:
Hello,

here are my findings in case anyone would like to pinch in:
- I was trying to playback large HD files that are unwatchable with Xine
- I forced them through Mplayer by renaming them .evo or .m2ts (either or seems to make no difference)
- The file was playing fine, but I noticed that I was unable to fast forward or pause (which is a problem since I rarely get to watch a movie without some sort of interruption)
- When I was pressing fast forward, Mplayer was exiting (others noticed this as well in other threads)
- I replaced the mplayer binary in /opt/pluto-mplayer/bin version dev-SVN-r20630-4.1.3 from 0710 stock by a more recent binary from the lmce svn
- Now I can fast forward up to x2, but no faster (status bar displays other speeds such as x8 x32 etc, but movie does not move faster than x2), and pausing still does not work (although the system does recognize the command since I can hear a blip in the sound every time I press pause)
- Pausing and fast forwarding both work when using either the old or new binary from the KDE desktop, even if I launch it with the same command line than lmce uses in Mplayer_Player

I conclude that the problem must be somewhere in the way the wrapper that launches Mplayer communicates with the player, and unfortunately that exceeds my current abilities. I can see some commands in DCERuter.log and in Mplayer_Player.log but nothing that gives me a clue.

If anyone has a suggestion, it's welcomed. In the meantime I could at least watch those files (which I don't do that often) from the KDE desktop, once I get the sound working there.

Thank you!

Jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 
Go to full version