Author Topic: Video stuttering  (Read 14899 times)

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Video stuttering
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:18:21 pm »
I just re-install Linuxmce AMD64 and all the video is stuttering during playback. I have tried a dvd, recorded video and live tv...all stutter. I'm not sure where to look at this point. I have a Nvidia 7300 512 MB, core 2 duo 6400 and 1 GB ram. This didn't happen on the other installations.
Thanks

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Video stuttering
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:42 pm »
Does this happen right after a reboot, or does it start happening after a day or two?  There was just a thread, started by me, about this that just just off page one now.  Apparently there are at least a few of us with this issue after it's been up for a while.  A reboot fixes it for me, but only temporarily.

FWIW, my core/md hybrid is an i386 install on an AMD dual core, with 2G ram, and an nvidia 7300 SE (cheap-o) video card.

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »
Does this happen right after a reboot, or does it start happening after a day or two?  There was just a thread, started by me, about this that just just off page one now.  Apparently there are at least a few of us with this issue after it's been up for a while.  A reboot fixes it for me, but only temporarily.

FWIW, my core/md hybrid is an i386 install on an AMD dual core, with 2G ram, and an nvidia 7300 SE (cheap-o) video card.

I just rebooted and all the video works ok. It sounds like it is the same problem. Are you having any other problems using i386 linuxmce? Have you used the amd64?
Thanks

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:11 am »
AMD64 seemed to have some limitations.  Nothing that would normally affect anyone, but things like HandbrakeCLI doesn't work with AMD64, neither does wine (at least not very well), and some other things.  When I went from 704 to 710 I decided to switch to i386 'cause the minor performance increase didn't seem like it would matter with 2G ram and decent dual core AMD, and it seems like there are still some minor issues with the AMD64 OS.

I never noticed any stuttering/jumpy playback issues on AMD64/704.  I think it's something with 710, not AMD64. 

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:20:39 am »
I just re-installed i386 linuxmce. I will test through the weekend and update. Thanks for your help.

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 05:02:27 pm »
I went back to amd64 version today. I had the same issues on i386.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:00:05 pm »
Based on my experiences and what others are saying, I'm pretty sure it's related to 710, not i386/AMD64.  BTW, my kids wanted to watch a movie and it was stuttering.  Instead of rebooting I just did a quick reload (router), and it seems to have done the same as a full reboot as far as the stutter.  I haven't done much checking into the issue beyond that though.

Hopefully this thread will not just die, and more people will chime in until a permanent resolution is found.  Not something like "just do a quick reload when it's stuttering" work around.

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:57 am »
I'll try reloading the router next time...ty

lightman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 05:02:45 am »
Hello, I'm having something like this, however doesn't fix with a reboot.

I can see a line forming Z in the middle of the screen , specially when the scene changes fast, like fast panning or light flashes.

Could it be that my video card isn't good enough?.

I quick reload the router but I can still see the effect, I can also see a non deinterlaced video, it looks like it's not doing the deinterlace at all the player.

images of the effect:

hardware:
ASUS M2N-E SLI
ASUS EN6200TC512 (gforce 6200, 256M, 512 Turbo cache)
AMD 64 X2 6000
2 x 1GB DDR2 800 kingston
1 x WD 500G sata
1 x LG hddvd-br drive.

any ideas? what we can do?, thanks.
light

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 05:15:19 am »
Definitely a different issue than what I have.  I get no tearing or other issues, just the framerate drops.

lightman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 05:27:04 am »
Definitely a different issue than what I have.  I get no tearing or other issues, just the framerate drops.

Framerate loss??? oh no!, not my issue either, sorry I miss-interpreted your problem, however I do see framerate loss and audio go ahead of the video, when I tryed to playback a blueray ripped, (it only played the extras, not the main movie also :()

well sorry for make noise in your thread :), anyone with a clue? of any of both problems? :D

c-u
light

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:41 am »
No worries.  Blu-ray is on my list of things to tackle after this one.  Unfortunately last I looked, the one and only movie I have wasn't supported yet.  BD+, something or another version 4....

Blackhat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 06:50:01 am »
Are all of you guys having problems using a nvidia card?

If so, it might be worthwhile to play with the xorg.conf.  I noticed some changes in nvidia support on 710rc2.  Haven't figured out exactly what yet.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:09:28 am »
I THINK we are all on nvidia cards, and we may also all be using AMD64 x2 cpus.  I have no clue where to start with xorg.conf as it runs normally for a day or two, CPU stays low, and I never get anywhere near using all 2G of ram.  Reloading the router also seems to fix it, so I can't think of anything in xorg.conf that makes sense (to me) to change.

Can someone with a core/md hybrid who isn't having these issues please run this for me:

netstat -an | grep -c 3450

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:00:27 pm »
just my 0,02 ...

If you search through the forum you'll find some other posts related to this issue.
I am experiencing video stuttering with 704, even if it is showing in slightly different way.
I have a VIA based MD, with 512Mb ram, that is more than adequate for video playback.
In fact if I play a DVD or divx file with Xine OUTSIDE LMCE playback is smooth (with normal CPU and memory usage), the very same media played WHITHIN LMCE is stuttering after 1 hour (with CPU that bumps to 99%).
Also in my case a quick reload temporarily fix the problem.

It sounds like a problem with Xine_Player, but I have no knowledge of c++ to dive into the code and figure out what it is.

Regards
Marco