Author Topic: TV Show Media Updating - How I do it for Organization  (Read 965 times)

rodercot

TV Show Media Updating - How I do it for Organization
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
Hey All,

Hopefully this will help some of you.

Tv shows in LinuxMCE if you are not aware need attributes applied to the actual Video File. You may be used to applying them to the tv show folder or season in the past with other systems. It is tedious work to get all your shows setup with cover art but once completed they are pretty easy to get to.

The way I do it allows a search via title or episode directly.

Ok so my naming convetion is as such

tvshow/season/episodes (IE show name s01e01 - episode.avi)

So goto FAMS (files and media sync) in webadmin. my data is public/data/other yours maybe different.

I got to /public/data/other/Windows Share-disk9/TV9 for example and click on it now it expands the tree and gives me a list of the tv shows in that folder. I click on one of the tv shows in that list and it exapnds and gives me the seasons click on that (all in the left column) and then on the right side I get the episodes within that season.

Now! before hand I dwnlded all the per season cover arts and modified them to remove any borders etc.

So I click on the first episode then browse for a picture (find the pic on my local drive) hit open then click add picture (A caveat here - Once you click open on the cvr art it will paste the path into the LMCE attributes window for you before you hit add the picture copy that path and then from then on for that season you can just mouseover the add picture path and click paste and then click on add. It really speeds up the process instead of browsing for the same file everytime). It does. Now I scroll down to short attributes and add a title.

Here is my trick in the title I put for Seinfeld lets say - I type in SEI101 The Seinfeld Chronicles and I hit add. This now gives me a title in the list above. Then I set the media sub-type to TV Shows and the file type to Standard Def (this just allows me less scrolling in the UI instead of lumping it all in the DVD group) You can use any letter for your show description but the numbers are the key. Like 101 = season 1 episode 1 etc... Now click update. I said it was tedious you have to do this for all of your TV shows individually. You can of course ad the same cover art to the group of episodes at once from the top level folder and I think I tried that once but could not do something else after I did that so I would rather do it this way and no all is well.

Now when your UI is populated you will have for instance all your Seinfeld Season 1 pictures in order and on the right will be the episode titles with the 101 preceding them. I have done all my Seinfeld, King Of Queens etc.. this way and they all stay in perfect order. Seasons 1-9 and all the episodes in line as well. This makes scrolling to a specific episode a breeze and searching easier as well.

Now at search I type SEI and it pulls up my Seinfeld episodes it I type sei105 it takes me right to Season 1 Episode 5 in the search window.

Hope it helps.

rgds,

Dave 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:52:50 pm by rodercot »

rodercot

Re: TV Show Media Updating - How I do it for Organization
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:06:12 pm »
An Update to this....

When scrolling to your data. when you click on the TV show on the left then on the season (1 for example) It will list all your episodes on the right - NOW you can click on Edit Attributes for all files at the top and you can add you cover art here. then click add picture it will then update all files in that season with the Season Cover art you assign. This takes one step out of the above process and now you just have to go on to each season and each episode and modify the attributes for each.

Good Luck.

Dave

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:37:54 am »
Dave - do a search for batchassign someone wrote a script for the admin site that allows you to assign coverart and attributes to one file and then bulk assign them same to many other files. Also golgoj was working on a flash tool but that seems to have died a death (haven't heard anything in ages)

rodercot

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »
Colin,

Thanks for that. I still need to edit eash file anyhow. As in short attributes I add the number and the title to that episode. Now if the tool you are referring would update each file with different attributes allowed that would be great. The way I am doing it above works great it just takes a while and the adding cover art to all works good as well.

Dave

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:47:15 pm »
no it doesn't.... but setting the majority of attributes that are the same in the first pass, then just going back and adding the changing ones only would still represent a saving in time - that's what I have done in the past... either that or you could try updating the php code...

maybe if jondecker is reading this is something that could slide into his recent playlists work.... I think I mentioned something about that to him at some point...

rodercot

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:20:15 pm »
Hey Colin,

This all work fine and adding anything that is easier is WELCOME for sure. All in All I still say we need another Layer to the UI for TV shows.

Thus assigning cover arts to a folder IE Seinfeld then under that having the Season 1-9 population. I have now added about half my shows may way and although you can search easily and find what you want which is fine for me, but for others using the system it needs to be SHOW - PLAY - WATCH.

I will see when I get it all populated what the WAF is. She has not turned on her TV in the bedroom for about a week and a half for fear she may break something. She actually said to me the other night and this blew me away as she is not a technical person " This system just has too many bugs" All this because she was watching a movie in the living room and all the sudden at the best part the movie just quit and went back to the screensaver. I rebooted the hybrid and it seems fine. But initially the system dropped 9 out of 10 of the windows shares and upon reboot they were back in place. Little weird things and I try to document them to research later.

Dave