Author Topic: UK remote options  (Read 3224 times)

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
UK remote options
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:27:46 pm »
Hi,
have been thinking about the options I have here in the UK for a remote for LMCE.

The Fiire Chief looks like its the best bet but it just seems a bit expensive once you have added the shipping to the UK, especially when you add the fact you end up being drawn into deciding that if you are going to pay that much in shipping you might as well buy the total amount of remotes and IR dongles you will eventually need where as I really want to just be able to buy a basic one remote and one dongle set up to get me up and running and then buy extras as and when I want/can afford.

people being UK suppliers has been mentioned here on the forum now and again before but never seems to have come to anything.

what is the current status of this?

I mention this because I saw on the forum that www.microdirect.co.uk do a mce gyration remote that is very similar to the Fiire Chief.

are these remotes made by the same company as the mce one?

I have been a micro direct customer for many years, with it being just up the road, and was in today and asked about the possibility of getting them to stock the Fiire chief remote.

now I don't know if this would even be possible as it maybe specific to polywell and they may have there own ideas about if and who they would have for a uk stockist. My thought being that Micro Direct may be a good candidate as a stockist if the demand was good enough.

Andrew, you may be able to offer info on this as I think I saw you mentioning something about stocking the Fiire Chief?

J

Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64 3200, 512mb ram, Silverstone Lascala LC02B

3xMD
Biostar 200n, AMD Sempron 2300, 512

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: UK remote options
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »
Hi,
have been thinking about the options I have here in the UK for a remote for LMCE.

The Fiire Chief looks like its the best bet but it just seems a bit expensive once you have added the shipping to the UK, especially when you add the fact you end up being drawn into deciding that if you are going to pay that much in shipping you might as well buy the total amount of remotes and IR dongles you will eventually need where as I really want to just be able to buy a basic one remote and one dongle set up to get me up and running and then buy extras as and when I want/can afford.

people being UK suppliers has been mentioned here on the forum now and again before but never seems to have come to anything.

what is the current status of this?

I mention this because I saw on the forum that www.microdirect.co.uk do a mce gyration remote that is very similar to the Fiire Chief.

are these remotes made by the same company as the mce one?

I have been a micro direct customer for many years, with it being just up the road, and was in today and asked about the possibility of getting them to stock the Fiire chief remote.

now I don't know if this would even be possible as it maybe specific to polywell and they may have there own ideas about if and who they would have for a uk stockist. My thought being that Micro Direct may be a good candidate as a stockist if the demand was good enough.

Andrew, you may be able to offer info on this as I think I saw you mentioning something about stocking the Fiire Chief?

J

Hi J,

We dont stock the Fiire Chief in the UK I'm afraid.

The standard Gyration MCE remote is what the Fiire Chief is based on (Gyration make them for Fiire) but the MCE variant has a different button layout/labeling - but it will work. There are some threads here on the forum about customising the button mapping to fix some of the differences with the Fiire Chief - search for those.

Also this Wiki page has some useful info http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Using_the_Gyration_Remote_GYR3101US_(Non-Fiire_Chief)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: UK remote options
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:23:22 am »
FWIW I have this one as I wan't prepared to spend $250+ (AUD) to get the Fiire Cheif here in Aus...

It seems to work well with the exception of the absolute volume and absolute position functions (I think this has a bug in Mantis?). This is kinda annoying but not the end of the world.

The key difference from what I can tell is having the Volume (up and down) keys bring up the Lighting/volume and Skip/Chapter menus (I guess you could remap these to somewhere else but unless I'm mistaken they can't go go in the same places as on the Fiire Chief...?). Oh and it doesn't support "follow me" from what I have read (I don't have a separate MD so can't confirm this).

Cheers,
WR.