Author Topic: playback jumpy after being up for a while  (Read 2768 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
playback jumpy after being up for a while
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:06:10 pm »
I tried to search, but I couldn't really find anything, probably my search-fu is off.

My core/md hybrid works great when first booted, but after a period of time, maybe a day or two, the playback gets jumpy as if there is a high load average.  Looking at the system right now while a movie is playing from external USB HD and jumpy, the cpu use is low, 70% to 90% idle and over 600MB out of 2G ram free.  I did notice there are currently 169 local connections either to or from port 3450 (DCErouter), not sure if that's normal or not.  It's been up 4 days.  I'm not sure if a simple reload of the router fixes it.

It's not an issue with the hardware, after a reboot it's fine, plus it's a dual core AMD BE-2400, 2G ram, nvidia 7300 SE, filesystems all have plenty of space....  Right now that's the only lmce device, no other MDs, no network mounted drives, nothing else I can think of.  I guess it could also be related to the external USB drive???  I just thought of that as a possibility and haven't tested.

Any ideas?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: playback jumpy after being up for a while
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:12:00 am »
Since I upgraded to RC2, I have been seeing my video getting jerkier and jerkier the longer I leave my core up and have to reboot after a while (seems more related to how much video I play rather than how long it is up for) to get it back to normal. Never did this on previous versions (RC1, b4, b3, b2) but I have assumed it was due to a dodgy build until now - haven't checked CPU, as I was just going to rebuild in the next few days... also, I'm going to try i386 for the first time, have always used AMD64 to now and want to rule out some other possible issues as well...

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:19:19 am »
I'm on the final release and I switched to i386 to resolve some issues as well.  Never had the issue with the previous version running AMD64.  At least it's not just me.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:36:15 am »
I've been seeing the same issue on all i386 0710 releases.  I'm not sure if it is uptime, playback time, or ripping time dependent.  Every few of days I'll notice the stuttering (it bothers me, but my wife doesn't notice it until it gets real bad) usually on horizontal pans or fast motion.  Simply rebooting resolves the stuttering.

Interesting observation on the net connections, I'll have to start monitoring them...

Have fun,
Roy

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »
I can rule out ripping, at least for me.  I rip all my movies on another computer using HandBrakeCLI.