Author Topic: Core Setup  (Read 3526 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Core Setup
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:51:35 am »
If setting up a core, can one safely skip all tv/audio setup, boot into Linux MCE, switch the desktop and and check only core to start?

Thanks!

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Core Setup
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:53:16 am »
Sorry,

I don't think so.

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:18 am »
Is it correct though to not boot into the actual interface on a core, or is that normal? Does one just create a "Room" called "Core" for example and let it run despite its headless and never accessed?

Thanks for the quick reply!

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:08:20 am »
Hi.

A "Core" system is basically the brain.  Diskless Media Directors (hooked up to TV's to play movies, etc.) are appendages.

I would suggest that you spend a little more time reading the wikis, decide if you want a core or a core/hybrid etc.

An easy thing to start with is a core/hybrid you get to see the whole thing in action.

When I started to play with the system I tried a pure Core, then wiped everything, played with a Core/Hybrid, wiped everything, reloaded the software about 12 times, at least.  I thought about what I wanted to accomplish and eventually after playing for a long time, (months in my free time), I decided that for what I wanted to do required a dedicated core and MD's or susbsystens.

Read, play and have fun.

Cheers

perspectoff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:20:35 am »
If setting up a core, can one safely skip all tv/audio setup, boot into Linux MCE, switch the desktop and and check only core to start?

Thanks!

Yes, it's safe to do that.

You can't use the Orbiter User Interface from a monitor connected to the Core if you do that, but you can still administer the Core (from the Core's monitor) using the LinuxMCE Admin Website (which needs no special graphics or sound). That generally is preferable anyway.

There are caveats -- if you output from the Core's soundcard directly to a whole house audio system, you should setup audio.

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:39:28 pm »
I re read the docs and no where that I saw does it actually state that a Core, not Hybrid, should have that unchecked. Logically I deduced it would be fine and was intended. I can always start it if need be without ramifications after the fact I presume?

Thanks for the confirmation!