Author Topic: Anyone aware of family portal open source system to be used under LMCE?  (Read 4096 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a family with wife and two kids... I've setup new automated home and we all live hapily, but miss some sort of family portal system that would be designed for a family...

I'm considering of Wordpress, or Egroupware or ..., but all apps have some sort limitations in these scenario... Anyone aware if something that would be appropriate ?

What we're after :
- repository of friends (phone book)
- common portal info (weather, rss news, ...)
- photo album
- file repository
- blog
- message board
- recipes
- repository of links
- family calendar

Also : some way to sync with mobile phones, LMCE (so it can read those info and use them - for example for speech announcements), etc....

Any ideas where to start ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
bulek.
Hi,

I have a family with wife and two kids... I've setup new automated home and we all live hapily, but miss some sort of family portal system that would be designed for a family...

I'm considering of Wordpress, or Egroupware or ..., but all apps have some sort limitations in these scenario... Anyone aware if something that would be appropriate ?

What we're after :
- repository of friends (phone book)
- common portal info (weather, rss news, ...)
- photo album
- file repository
- blog
- message board
- recipes
- repository of links
- family calendar

Also : some way to sync with mobile phones, LMCE (so it can read those info and use them - for example for speech announcements), etc....

Any ideas where to start ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

My vote is for eGroupware.
Of your demands it lack blog and recipies functionality. (there was an old recipies module I think but not maintained any more)
It can sync to your mobile phone with syncML version 1.x. No 2.x. If you have a syncml gateway in between you can use what ever phone model you like to sync email, app, task & notes.

If you create a mailbox for all your lmce users you can setup egw to use mailauth and then you automatically get the same account database (user/pass). You will still need to assign each user to egw groups to control access different applications inside egw.

As for more integration with lmce it should be fairly easy if you know php.
Look at egw etemplate.

/niz23

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

thanks for suggestion... EGW is trully a good candidate, although I think it's a bit too complex and a bit too hard to learn (imagine kids and wife doing calendar appointments etc...).... I think info Log (it it still exists could be something like lightweight blogging thing....

Can you please give us more experiences, how EGW could be made easy to use basic family management application ? When I worked on EGW some time ago, I remember that learning curve is pretty steep with all those options for any entity you add...

In the mean time I found this :
http://efp.rubyforge.org/

but it seems a bit outdated....

Searching further,

looking forward to discussion,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
bulek.
Hi,

thanks for suggestion... EGW is trully a good candidate, although I think it's a bit too complex and a bit too hard to learn (imagine kids and wife doing calendar appointments etc...).... I think info Log (it it still exists could be something like lightweight blogging thing....

Can you please give us more experiences, how EGW could be made easy to use basic family management application ? When I worked on EGW some time ago, I remember that learning curve is pretty steep with all those options for any entity you add...

In the mean time I found this :
http://efp.rubyforge.org/

but it seems a bit outdated....

Searching further,

looking forward to discussion,

regards,

Bulek.

This is the back side of egw.
egw can do too much for what you want it to do.
And there is no way to configure individual apps to be light-weight unless you change code.

Infolog is still there with much more functionality than previous versions (before 1.4.xxx).
For example you can connect appointments, addresses and files to a specific task/note.
Task can be integrated into projects etc.
In the end infolog have too much functionality for a blog. At least at the user/writer end. I mean the blog writer should not have too many options when they write a post.

Since infolog is written using etemplate it should not too hard to create a derived version with less options and a new "blog" way to present data.
Infolog can also be published in sitemgr (egw cms system) to form part of a family portal together with a shared calender etc.

I believe. At least in a family that you need to make it very easy to publish data in this kind of system otherwise your family members will not update things. Just look at my own family.

/niz23

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
bulek.

This is the back side of egw.
egw can do too much for what you want it to do.
And there is no way to configure individual apps to be light-weight unless you change code.

Infolog is still there with much more functionality than previous versions (before 1.4.xxx).
For example you can connect appointments, addresses and files to a specific task/note.
Task can be integrated into projects etc.
In the end infolog have too much functionality for a blog. At least at the user/writer end. I mean the blog writer should not have too many options when they write a post.

Since infolog is written using etemplate it should not too hard to create a derived version with less options and a new "blog" way to present data.
Infolog can also be published in sitemgr (egw cms system) to form part of a family portal together with a shared calender etc.

I believe. At least in a family that you need to make it very easy to publish data in this kind of system otherwise your family members will not update things. Just look at my own family.

/niz23

Hi,

thanks for more info....EGW has sufficient features, but is a bit of difficult to use.... I found something that is easy, but has no sync and other benefits of EGW :

http://www.verysimple.com/products.page Take a look at Organize 2.5.2... Misterhouse community is using this solution...

Any opinion ?

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone aware of family portal open source system to be used under LMCE?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:56:43 pm »
Hi,

I finally found something more in our expectations direction....

Didn't take a closer look, but will share with community :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fam-connections/

Opinions ? It also has a recipe...

Regards,
Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.