Author Topic: SOLVED: Blinking Cursor in upper left AND disabled keyboard?  (Read 4584 times)

RedPenguin

• View Profile
I just tried to install Linux MCE 0710 and from what I can tell the installation worked fine.

When I turn on the PC, my wired ps/2 keyboard works (but I also tried another known working keyboard in case) and I see the Kubuntu boot screen, then I just go to a blinking cursor in the upper left, but I can't do anything because for some reason, my keyboard gets disabled.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:43:11 pm by RedPenguin »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Blinking Cursor in upper left AND disabled keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:51:15 pm »
Did you get the AVWizard after the first reboot? Were you tell it about your screen resolution, sound Dolby, DTS, etc?

If not, I'm assuming you have read the installation instructions and already know how to change the video output and resolution so that you can see the wizard and configure it....

RedPenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 04:00:02 pm »
Well I followed this page, but I'm going to follow the link if you don't see the A/V Wizard now.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DVD_Installation

RedPenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:24:08 pm »
Well, I hold Shift as the machine beeps and it just ignores me, beeps every now and then like you would hear in a hospital, like beep, then 4 seconds later beep, then 4 seconds later beep, until I unhold shift.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 01:33:39 am »
Do you get the Kubuntu splash screen with the horizontal progress bar? If so, then you should hold down shift at the beginning of that and release it at the end.

The point is, if you need to use the output and resolution shortcuts, then yes you will get a blank screen and it will appear to ignore you ... It is outputting to the wrong video connector or at a resolution your display can't handle.

Once the splash screen is gone, you may briefly see a text terminal login screen and then blank. Allow a good 20+ seconds after the splash screen for the wizard to start up and use the keyboard shortcuts to change the output and resolution - with at Least 15 seconds between each key press to give it time to change.

If you're not even getting the Kubuntu splash screen then it is probably something else - have you got 2 sets of graphics chipsets? (Ie onboard and a card?)

RedPenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:58:33 am »
Well I do get the splash screen, but I didn't get a chance to really try the different outputs, but I will defiantly try that.

RedPenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:35 pm »
No same thing again. I'm using an NVidia card with a composite out to my TV while the BIOS is no longer using or is not supposed to use the integrated card any more.

Well, I've gotten somewhere.

When I boot up my system, no output shows on the integrated VGA, because well I told it to use PCI. Yet, after the KUbuntu splash screen, I noticed that it enables output on this card, yet it's not even able to be made out.

It's worse then if you tried to watch a scrambled pay channel without a cable box.

This is actually almost what the output looks like on the integrated VGA:

http://www.ovation.co.uk/ViewlockII/VLscramb.jpg and somewhat like http://www.arcaderestoration.com/graphics/repair/williamscpupcb1big.jpg
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:25:06 pm by RedPenguin »

RedPenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:42:49 pm »
SOLVED:

I found out, by going to recovery mode, that the default NVIDIA driver that comes with LinuxMCE didn't like my "legacy" card. nvidia-glx-legacy didn't work either. Though, the NVIDIA driver said to use 96.43.xx version of the legacy driver, which I did, and bam, after a reboot and shift, the A/V Wizard came up.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED: Blinking Cursor in upper left AND disabled keyboard?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 03:16:03 pm »
that's ok, anytime....