Author Topic: Errors when trying to install unichrome drivers  (Read 4452 times)

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Errors when trying to install unichrome drivers
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »
Now that I have my core and md up and running, it's time to get the last MD setup for use in the master-bedroom. It has a VIA motherboard and when I do the initial bootup it stops at "Couldn't configure X"

I'm following the directions here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

I cut and pasted the apt-get line and that went fine, but there is one thing missing, and that's to install SVN

So right after that I did:

sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential ccache

and then the svn line worked.

When I run ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr it errors out with this:

-----
checking for XORG... configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server xproto xvmc fontsproto libdrm ) were not met:

No package 'xorg-server' found
No package 'xvmc' found
No package 'libdrm' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XORG_CFLAGS
and XORG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
-----

I was doing this on the core.

I went to /usr/pluto/diskless/92/ and did a 'sudo chroot .' from there and carried on.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Later today I'll jump into the chat if that would be more helpful.

Thanks!

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Errors when trying to install unichrome drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:59:08 pm »
I rebuilt the MD image for the Via MD...

Went back to the Display Drivers page, and used the first link under Via Chipsets

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&OSID=45&CatID=3220

Mine is the PM880, PM800, CN400 UniChrome Integrated Graphics.

Downloaded that, put the *.run file in to the /root directory on that media directory, ran it, selected install drivers, and it said it was done. Simple as that.

I reboot the box and now I'm stuck in the Setup Wizard. It just keeps going through the same 3 pages...

Sarah says click Next.
Next screen, I say no remoted.
Next screen, I select Media Setup

Back to the first, and I go through an endless loop.

I'm rebooting again, I'll see if the s3utility program will start up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:57:13 pm by freymann »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:05:16 pm »
Good luck with via, i have and may others have tried but we are unable to get satisfactory results with the via boards.
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »
Good luck with via, i have and may others have tried but we are unable to get satisfactory results with the via boards.

Oh, that's not good news for me :-(

It just seems to be stuck in an endless loop between those 3 pages. Cancel doesn't cancel, it just starts again. KDE Desktop button attempted to load but then it crashed.

The same box, with Mythbuntu 7.10 or 8.04 worked fine though. I booted off the internal hard drive hoping to find some settings in the xorg.conf file, but X under 8.04 uses even less info in the xorg.conf file nowadays.

I may have to bring the unit downstairs to the office so I can play with it easier.

The TV in the master-bedroom requires composite A/V out. Is it possible to find a compatible video card that can be inserted into this box with the A/V out (Red/White/Yellow RCA jacks)?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:23:37 pm »
Interestingly enough, I was able to finally get to the KDE desktop with the KDE desktop button on the setup wizard screen, and although I had to keep ALT-TAB'ing to push Sarah in the background, I was able to move around, shut down LMCE and fiddle inside KDE.

So I restarted LMCE and told it to run the A/V Wizard, rebooted, and selected UI1 (I was trying UI2 without blending).

That seems to work pretty well. The UI1 screen shows up and I can move around.

LiveTV or Videos show up with a nice green overlay with lines and the image too large and missing a good portion of the right hand side, but that's progress at least! The other options to do computing, manage lights, etc. are all working.

The PDF that was included with the via video drivers talked about a version of either zine of mplayer available on sourceforge that is compatible with the via video drivers, so I will go investigate that next, which will be much later tonight.

Thanks for your tips and suggestions.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:04 pm »

The PDF that was included with the via video drivers talked about a version of either zine of mplayer available on sourceforge that is compatible with the via video drivers, so I will go investigate that next, which will be much later tonight.

freyman.

I don´t want to sound too negative here.
I really hope you succeed. I do!
There are a lot of people that have tried this before without success.

You will probably waste your time trying to make it work unless you are able to merge the via optimized xine/mplayer code with lmce modified xine/mplayer codebase. The next challenge will be to get the real via video driver to work under lmce0710/ubuntu 7.10 which is to my knowledge not avialable yet.

Via have announced that their optimized drivers will be realeased and available as the nvidia ones are today.
If this include sourcecode I don´t know. To my knowledge this real driver is not available to the general audience yet without a license.

/niz23

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »
You will probably waste your time trying to make it work unless you are able to merge the via optimized xine/mplayer code with lmce modified xine/mplayer codebase. The next challenge will be to get the real via video driver to work under lmce0710/ubuntu 7.10 which is to my knowledge not avialable yet.

Oh, well, thanks for the information. If anything, it'll save me some wasted time.

I wonder if I could load MythBuntu 7.10 back on that box and have it talk directory to MythTV in the core for TV? If I mounted the core's drive correctly, I suppose I could map to one (each) folder for some video, music and photos too?

My fall-back for the master bedroom, while tinkering, was to put back the DLink DSM320, which seems to be able to talk to the uPNP server now, allowing the better half access to pretty well everything except LiveTV and Lights (and she hates the X10 light stuff anyway).

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:53:06 pm »
freymann.

Haven´t tried it, but I see no reason why it should not work.
Ask danielk on the irc channel. He is a mythtv developer so if anyone knows he will.

/niz23

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:59:58 pm »
Haven´t tried it, but I see no reason why it should not work.
Ask danielk on the irc channel. He is a mythtv developer so if anyone knows he will.

Strangely enough, at the  moment, the uBuntu 7.10 LiveCD can't recognize the video card! lol

However, I booted back into LMCE and the UI1 screen appears OK again... videos actually play! they studder (meaning the 'freeze' for a second every now and then) but the video is sharp.

LiveTV on the other hand.. it's covered in green with lines and eventually just exists back to the UI1 screen.

That's definitely progress ;-)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:56:49 pm by freymann »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 05:00:30 am »
I grabbed my MythBuntu 7.10 CD and installed that and had the via box showing LiveTV and Recorded Programs in about 30 minutes! It actually runs best with MythBuntu 7.10. When I have more free time I'll play with some network mapping that may let it access some media on my media drive in the core, and then that will get me caught up and running nicely!