Author Topic: WinTv Nova T 500 Setup- Help Wanted Please  (Read 6241 times)

james24

• View Profile
WinTv Nova T 500 Setup- Help Wanted Please
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »
First off all I'd like to say what a great forum this is, its been a great help to me. I am really just a newbie to linux but have dabbled with some. I decided to try to setup Linux MCE 7.10 and downloaded the iso files and burnt them to CD. The actual install went fine but I have no idea how to get Mythtv to use my TV card (Hauppauge WinTv Nova-T-500). I've looked on the web and followed lots of different instructions but no joy. I would be very grateful for any help.
Thank you

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: WinTv Nova T 500 Setup- Help Wanted Please
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:23:49 am »
Can't help you with Myth, any reason why you haven't chosen VDR?

james24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:36 am »
Thank you for the tip but I really want to try to get Linux MCE to work. I know other people have managed it. Please can someone give me some advice on the setting up of my TV card?

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:25:25 am »
james24.

In short you need to got to "computing | setup mythbackend" in the UI2 menus. Don´t have my core in front of me so the name might differ a bit.

Basically you have to do the following:
1. General  (don´t changes IPs and other stuff that are names pluto something...)
2. Capture cards (Assign your Nova-T 500 tuners. Need to to this twice as your card have two tuners)
3. Video sources (Give your TV-source a name. Choose which EPG grabber you want, XMLTV|EIT etc. Can do channel scan here)
4. Input connections (dont´remember from to of my head)
5. Channel Editor (nothing to edit unless you really need to)

For more info how to configure myth see,
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1
It´s myth specific so you need to adapt som stuff to LMCE.

/niz23

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:00:06 pm »
Mine always set up themselves for me - but this requires a couple of things first.

1) If you haven't already, see if your tv is supported. If its not supported, create a device template for it.
2) For your source equipment (I.e. satellite box etc..), see if it is supported as well. If its not supported, create a device template for it as well.

The goal here is just to get your equipment recognized by LMCE as devices.

3) Reload your router (lets make sure LMCE is aware of your A/V gear)

4) On your on-screen orbiter (UI2) - in the right-most menu, select the Setup Wizard

5) choose the media setup option

6)Now you can select your TV from the setup wizard, select your input device (I.e. satellite box)

7) it will also ask you what inputs your gear is connected to. Filling this out causes everything to be set up automatically. This is where you pretty much say "My satellite box is connected to pvr card X on input Y"

8) Another screen will let you fill out information  for each of your devices that will receive broadcast media (like the satellite box I've been using as an example). This is where you can tell LMCE your schedules direct information for program guides, etc.

Thats it. I have done this several times, and it does a great job of setting things up for you. Just take your time, and read each screen carefully and follow the directions. Any questions and you could probably pop into IRC (#linuxmce on freenode.net) and have someone help walk you through it.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:04:35 pm »
johndecker76.

You have to do the steps I mentioned above to make it work as far as I know, because lmce cannot setup the DVB-T channels by itself without some important data first. Like channel MHz separation (usually 6,7 or 8MHz), how to retrieve EPG data, channel frequencies etc.

I guess you are using a PVR150 or similar that you have attached your settop box. This conf work automatically as long as lmce know your attached products. (device templates)

/niz23

james24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:14 pm »
Thank you for all your advice. I will try again tomorrow evening following the instructions you have posted and tell you how I get on. At the moment I haven't got any A/V eqiupment connected to the PC and am just testing it out on my monitor on my home PC with the TV card installed before I build a dedicated media PC to connect my TV to, etc.
Again thank you

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:56:55 am »
First off all I'd like to say what a great forum this is, its been a great help to me. I am really just a newbie to linux but have dabbled with some. I decided to try to setup Linux MCE 7.10 and downloaded the iso files and burnt them to CD. The actual install went fine but I have no idea how to get Mythtv to use my TV card (Hauppauge WinTv Nova-T-500). I've looked on the web and followed lots of different instructions but no joy. I would be very grateful for any help.
Thank you

Well the T500 is autodetected by the 0710 kernel and will just need a valid tuning file. For vdr you just need to follow the instructions here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/VDR#Scanning_for_Channelsto generate the channels.conf file needed.

Thats it for vdr... There must be a similar process for Myth.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

james24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:07 am »
OK I have successfully set up my TV card and can watch TV via MythTV but it doesn't seem to pick up alot of channels when I do the scan in MythTv setup. I have enabled the onboard amplifier by adding the line "options dvb-usb-dib0700 force_lna_activation=1" to the document open by typing "sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options" into the command prompt. Is this right? Can I use a channel list file to improve the number of available channels?
Thank you for your help

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:47:02 am »
James.
OK I have successfully set up my TV card and can watch TV via MythTV but it doesn't seem to pick up alot of channels when I do the scan in MythTv setup. I have enabled the onboard amplifier by adding the line "options dvb-usb-dib0700 force_lna_activation=1" to the document open by typing "sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options" into the command prompt. Is this right? Can I use a channel list file to improve the number of available channels?
Thank you for your help

Do you have a good antenna connected to your nova card?
Many times signal strength problem can be seen when mythtv scan for channels.
It look in a channel but continue shorly after.

Have had the same typ of problem without a good antenna. Switched to VDR instead since I couldnt get my channels to work proerly here in sweden. Lockups and other problems that have not yet been solved in myth 0.20.

You need a really good antenna for this card And with that I mean an "active antenna" or a yagi type.
This is of course my experience.

/niz23

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 11:59:36 am »
is it possible yet to view live tv on MD's using VDR?

this was my reason for going with mythtv when I installed the latest version back at the end of may, although being in the UK VDR sounds like it is the better options once live tv on the mds works and is all fully integrated into lmce

J
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64 3200, 512mb ram, Silverstone Lascala LC02B

3xMD
Biostar 200n, AMD Sempron 2300, 512

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:39 pm »
LiveTV on MDs are on it´s way.
I believe the functionality is in testing right now.

totallymaxed now more since he´s the one developing it.

/niz23