Author Topic: For those wanting X10 controlled climate devices and motion detector support...  (Read 3887 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I just added information to the wiki on how to get climate and security device support for your CM11A. It only involves a few modifications to 2 device templates, and is pretty easy to do. This will allow you to:
-Use cheap x10 motion detectors (like the MS16A) to interface with the security system
-Use X10 wall outlets under the Climate category

Some may be wondering why having wall outlets under the Climate category is important (most people just add them as light switches)
The reason is that there are a lot of auto generated scenarios and event responses LMCE does when you add a new device. If you add an X10 outlet as a light device, then some of these scenarios and event responses will have unexpected results. For example:
You install an X10 outlet in your livingroom and add it as a light switch. You connect an Air Conditioner to the X10 Outlet. Now, when you leave the house and arm your security system, it will shut off automatically because LMCE thinks its a light. By using the Climate section for X10 outlets, this is avoided.

Just thought those using X10 devices would enjoy the extra freedom these simple modifications bring out.
I have started 2 mantis reports to have these changes made permanent in the next version.

For now, just follow the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/X10 if you want this functionallity now

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

have two quick questions:
- is X10 Outlet's state properly shown on floorplan (coloured yellow when on, otherwise pink) ?

- what would be the most proper way to create on/Off Climate device for other automation systems ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
Floorplan integration needs some work unfortunately, but I will fix that. For the most part, stick to scenarios to control the outlets (and of course responding to events etc...)

What other interfaces are you refering to to get outlets under climate?

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Floorplan integration needs some work unfortunately, but I will fix that. For the most part, stick to scenarios to control the outlets (and of course responding to events etc...)

What other interfaces are you refering to to get outlets under climate?

I meant any other automation system that would control "Generic Outlet" (beside X10, you could have others: Insteon, Cybrotech, EIB etc...)...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
I'm sure they would (never really looked into it as the device already specifies that it is an X10 device) - there is nothing special about the device that binds it to the CM11A, for example. However, it is bound to Specialized interfaces, so to make this more generic, we would only have to modify the device template a little more (for the x10 Outlet(On/Off) device) to include entries in the "this device is controlled via category" to add also Interfaces - Lighting Interfaces and Interfaces - Climate Interfaces.
With this change, most all of the zwave and insteon interfaces should work.

I'll dig into it a bit more, but it looks like I should add this to the mantis ticked (a name change to a more generic outlet (that doesn't have "X10" in the name) and also the additional entries that let it be controlled by lighting and climate interfaces.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
I'm sure they would (never really looked into it as the device already specifies that it is an X10 device) - there is nothing special about the device that binds it to the CM11A, for example. However, it is bound to Specialized interfaces, so to make this more generic, we would only have to modify the device template a little more (for the x10 Outlet(On/Off) device) to include entries in the "this device is controlled via category" to add also Interfaces - Lighting Interfaces and Interfaces - Climate Interfaces.
With this change, most all of the zwave and insteon interfaces should work.

I'll dig into it a bit more, but it looks like I should add this to the mantis ticked (a name change to a more generic outlet (that doesn't have "X10" in the name) and also the additional entries that let it be controlled by lighting and climate interfaces.

Hi,

I agree. I still cannot answer to myself what is better: either to have Generic Outlet device that can be used by any automation system (Port data is crucial - each system will put in information that will distinguish this module from others) or to have separate templates for all systems (like ZWave Outlet, X10 Outlet, etc....) and also what to do with others devices that are on/off....

Any discussion is good at this point,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Generic Outlet. There is _NO_ reason to have end-node child devices that are not generic.

-Thom

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
Agreed - I will update the mantis ticket on exactly what should be changed, including the name (to a generic device name that doesn't give the impression that it is X10 specific), and changes to the Device Template

Regardless - I could have just created a new device instead of modifying the broken one that is already there - but with the database as large and cluttered as it is sometimes, I think its best to fix what is already there then to add more onto the heap with another new device.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:12:23 pm by jondecker76 »

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
The wiki entry is updated with the additional step required to ensure the device template will be happy with other interfaces.
The Mantis ticket has also been updated.