Author Topic: another "failed to setup x" problem  (Read 5321 times)

stealth

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
another "failed to setup x" problem
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »
ok so here goes,

i have a asus a7n8x-vm/400 motherboard
512 mb ram
80gb samsung os drive
nvidia gf4mx440-8x video card

I install Kubuntu 7.10 then LinuxMCE, i tell it to install all the software, it does not ask me which ui to use. i tried it both with boot to LinuxMCE automatically and boot to Kubuntu, but after install it starts to do what appears to be something with Nvidia drivers then goes to a blue screen with a grey box that states "failed to setup X" <ok>. i can not click or enter on the ok but i can get to dcerouter login rompt via alt-f2.  i am a total and complete noob to this so please be kind in your explainations and help, i saw in another post something about xconfig (?) but i have the foggyest how to open that or what to do in it. i also do not have any other linuxMCE machines nor am i planning on anymore soon...... hmmmm i think thats everything i can think of to tell you, if theres anything else that will help just ask, i would really like to get this working because i do not want to go back to winblows :) thanks for all your help, if you would like you can email me or post here, thanks again

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: another "failed to setup x" problem
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:10:34 pm »
hi Stealth,
 I'm a complete noob myself, so fwiw , is there a compelling reason to use cd's rather than dvd ? Unless you've something  important on the HDD . you might find this a less painfull  process   :)

regards , Ian

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:39:32 pm »
That graphics card is way to old, maybe if you installed and configured the legacy nvidia drivers manually it might be able to do UI2 masking.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

stealth

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:57 am »
Mabyeoneday:  i used cds because my computer has all its ide slots filled with hard drives and i forgot my dvd drive at my old house wich is conveniently 6 hours away :) so rather than buying a new one for 60 bucks i bought a cd drive for 15 since i only plan to use it t install lmce and then remove it to plug back in my hd's, i'm not sure that the dvd would alleviate my issue as i think asZaerc says my graphics card is just to darn old but there expensive and i am poor :P

Zaerc: i thought that might be the case so i dug around and found a page about the legacy drivers in the wiki but when i try there instructions i get to the "wget" part and the CLI spits back a 404 errorso i traked down the file on another machine and wrote down the exact url for it and still recived a 404 now i am batting around the idea of d/ling on the other machine and burning it but i don't know if that will work but then again mabye this is the linux gods telling me to buy a new vid card

so that brings me to this if i can make it work what is the best graphics card to get, nvidia i assume but any particular model?
thanks again   

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:02:57 am »
Mabyeoneday:  i used cds because my computer has all its ide slots filled with hard drives and i forgot my dvd drive at my old house wich is conveniently 6 hours away :) so rather than buying a new one for 60 bucks i bought a cd drive for 15 since i only plan to use it t install lmce and then remove it to plug back in my hd's, i'm not sure that the dvd would alleviate my issue as i think asZaerc says my graphics card is just to darn old but there expensive and i am poor :P

Zaerc: i thought that might be the case so i dug around and found a page about the legacy drivers in the wiki but when i try there instructions i get to the "wget" part and the CLI spits back a 404 errorso i traked down the file on another machine and wrote down the exact url for it and still recived a 404 now i am batting around the idea of d/ling on the other machine and burning it but i don't know if that will work but then again mabye this is the linux gods telling me to buy a new vid card

so that brings me to this if i can make it work what is the best graphics card to get, nvidia i assume but any particular model?
thanks again   

Look here on the wiki for video cards; http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Graphic_Cards

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

gatesgil

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:44:58 pm »
hello,
first, sorry for my english...
same problem for me, installing kubuntu 7.10 and linuxmce 7.10 (core/media), and reboot, and "failed to setup x". Alt+F2 and i can login with login and pwd created in kubuntu, but nothing else. had trying that : sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, waiting a few minutes, reboot, and a nice green graphical interface appeared. then i hope it could be the same for you.