Author Topic: Display Temperature  (Read 5196 times)

artart

• View Profile
Display Temperature
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:53 pm »
Is there a way to display values (such as temperature) from a 1-wire temperature sensor on an Orbiter?I can't seem to find anything here on how this would be implemented.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Display Temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:24:05 pm »
place the thermometer child device on the floorplan, using the Floorplan wizard.. it will then show the temperature info next to its icon on the floorplan under Climate.

-Thom

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:48 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Thom.

So the overall process to get the temperature of my pool for instance, to display on the orbiter would be:

Install my 1-wire interface as a generic serial device
Use a floor plan to show the temperature

Is it that "simple"?

Art

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:27:20 am »
yes. We have support for one 1-wire interface I can think of, the Dallas Semiconductor DS9490R. The temperature sensor is a child of this device, with port/channel field filled in appropriately.

-Thom

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:42:18 am »
Great. That's the interface I have.

Given that is possible es it possible to set up an event to be triggred conditioned on the reading from the 1-wire device? For example: if the temperatue goes below some user set value turn on the pool heater (connected to an x-10 switch)? If so, how would the user set value be set on the orbiter? Sorry if these are questions that are basic but I am trying to decide if I want to switch from Housebot to LinuxMCE for my HA or just use it for media stuff, etc.

Thanks again,

Art

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:49:00 am »
please read the relevant page on events in the wiki..

Currently the orbiter UI has no such provision for altering those values on-screen. They have to be done in the web admin. The Orbiter is not meant for such things, and adding them would clutter the UI.

as for moving over from HouseBot, that would be a fantastic idea. We do a lot more than HouseBot can ever do, because any part of the system can send messages to any other part of the system, and we encompass a wide breadth of functionality inside our stack that any device can emit a command or event to.

-Thom
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 12:51:21 am by tschak909 »

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:03:18 am »
I will read the wiki RE events but I guess then for HA I should stick with HouseBot - the software remote capabilities are way beyond what LinuxMCE can do as far as I can tell. HB allows me to control variables that can be sent to devices or to tasks and scripts and from there to devices, etc. to do all kinds of complicated conditional control functions - don't see this in LinuxMCE. Am I wrong?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:12:26 am »
insanely, very wrong. You really...really....REALLY... need to read up, before blindly assuming what this software can and can't do. As I said before, we can do things nobody else can do, or has thought to do.

-Thom

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 01:54:09 am »
ok..Ok...OK...I will keep reading.

PKWilson

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 03:12:05 am »
I've done a similar thing with my bathroom fan. I have a temp sensor up against the showers hot water pipe so that whenever the shower is in use the bathroom fan automatically comes on, then turns off when the temp starts to drop.

I have a different temperature sensor to you, but just use the Temp Changed event to turn the fan off and on. If your temp sensor child device has the temp changed event, you should be able to do the same thing.

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:24:18 pm »
What I am trying to figure out is:
1) Can the temperature being read by the sensor be displayed on the Orbiter?
2) Can the user set the temperature on the Orbiter (that is set a value) that the event handler will use to programtically turn the heater on and off to keep the spa water temperature at the user set value? This would be the same question if you wanted to set a light to a specific dim level say 40%. Can the user somehow input the value "40" that can be used by an event handler routine to set the light at 40%?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:27:43 pm »
yes, climate devices have a control panel so that you can adjust the temperature with + and - .. both the projected temperature values and the selected values are shown on the thermostat icon.

Same for lighting, the lighting toolbar in the floorplan provides increments of 10% to set brightness, as well as full and off.

irrigation controls feature on, off, auto, and delays.

-Thom

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 07:33:15 pm »
When you wrote this in a previous post in this thread:
"Currently the orbiter UI has no such provision for altering those values on-screen. They have to be done in the web admin. The Orbiter is not meant for such things, and adding them would clutter the UI."
what were you referring to?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:37:13 pm »
I thought you meant something else. sorry.

-Thom

artart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:43:17 pm »
No problem. Thanks for your responses.