Author Topic: Installed LinuxMCE 710, but after booting, black screen; advice?  (Read 3763 times)

linuxdog

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've installed the AMD64 bit version of Linux MCE from DVD, which took just under an hour, however, when I re-booted as requested, although the Kubuntu start-up screen did its thing, the screen subsequently went black.
There was no log-in window and no way to recover.  The PC remains ON.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I'm assuming that my graphics card is supported, since I could see the blue Kubuntu boot-up bar.  The only potential problem I could see was the following message (when using one of the recovery options to start, so I could see what was happening during boot-up): "mounting local filesystems: FAIL".

Now, it seems likely/possible that this is the cause, but my hardware is fine AFAIK (was running XP before on the HDD).

I tried re-running the install, but got the same result.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem and how to get around it?
Thanks in advance!

I'm running a Shuttle SN95G5V2, with Athlon64 3200+, 1GB DDR, a passive nVidia 5xxxx graphics card and a 200GB Seagate HDD.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:57:11 pm by linuxdog »

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Installed LinuxMCE 710, but after booting, black screen; advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:45:32 pm »
Sounds like the AV Wizard (the next step after the first boot) is going to a different output. Read here for using the AV Wizard: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard. You probably have to press 1 or 2 on your keyboard, then follow the on screen instructions. However your Nvidia card being of the 5xxx breed raises some concern. I personally only have experience with 6xxx and 7xxx as they are the supported chipsets for Nvidia currently. But the first step would be to run the AV Wizard and let it work its magic.

Hope this helps, Welcome aboard!!

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

linuxdog

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:33:13 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I had a doubt about the nVidia card, so I changed it to an ATI 9600 earlier and subsequently reached the AV Wizard.
Having gone through the wizard, a message was displayed that some automated setup would run for approximately 15 minutes.

However, during the auto process, the following message was displayed:

Orbiter failed to load the transparency. Please check if the transparency manager is running.

Unfortunately, now the set-up won't proceed, but I can't see how to turn on the transparency manager.

Suggestions please...
 :)
Thanks.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 01:54:52 am »
You won't be able to use UI2 with Alpha transparency on the ATI. you need to choose UI2 with masking. Alpha almost always causes tearing anyway, so masking is the best option anyway. nVidia is better supported, you should try that again anyway with the suggestions Seth made - it is probably just the output or resolution that is a problem. Keys 1-5 choose the output - 1 for DVI/HDMI, check the wiki for the others. 6-0 choose the resolution - start with a lower one and work upwards.

BTW, after hitting the key you need to wait at least 15 seconds to allow it to restart X before you see the wizard - you should see flickering in the meantime.