Author Topic: Adding NEW DVD Movies  (Read 4636 times)

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Adding NEW DVD Movies
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 07:21:41 am »
I ended up having to change the owner on the file, on the core to root, then doing the above step, and it stuck. I wonder if this is a bug?

Yes, all media needs to be owned by root:public.  Sorry, I had this mentally keyed to NFS share problems...

Example from my media drive in my core/hybrid:
Code: [Select]
$ ls -l /home/public/data/videos/WDC_WD10EACS-00Z\ \(sdb1\)-CORE\ \[33\]/Action/The*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root public 7910522880 2008-06-11 16:21 /home/public/data/videos/WDC_WD10EACS-00Z (sdb1)-CORE [33]/Action/The Medallion.dvd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root public      16384 2008-06-12 01:45 /home/public/data/videos/WDC_WD10EACS-00Z (sdb1)-CORE [33]/Action/The Medallion.dvd.id3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root public        847 2008-06-11 16:21 /home/public/data/videos/WDC_WD10EACS-00Z (sdb1)-CORE [33]/Action/The Medallion.dvd.keys.tar.gz

Also directory ownership + permissions should be:

Code: [Select]
$ ls -l /home/public/data/videos/WDC_WD10EACS-00Z\ \(sdb1\)-CORE\ \[33\]/
drwxr-sr-x 2 root public       4096 2008-06-12 03:05 Animation

HTH,
Roy

rodercot

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 11:28:07 am »
I looked at all my FLAC files and I am having the exact same issue with all my audio files as well. Which are all in public/data/other/windows-share disk7/Music/artist/album/tracks.  IF the files is in the DB already and the system found the file as a doc viewer file then it will default back to that. Should we not be able to change the file to what we want it to be.

So I am having issues with AVI, FLAC and mp4 - with mp4 I get video 1080p but no sound all my mp4 files were encoded with nero aac enocoder to 5.1 but they were an mp4 ext as well before i muxed them back together.

regards,

dave
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:31:59 am by rodercot »

rodercot

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 12:41:22 am »
Is there any way to (re)build the data on a child device without deleting and it then reinstalling it.  There seems to be no answers as to how to rip a movie to a share from outside of lmce so that I get just the main movie file and the dd or dts track and then have it show up in the UI.

I just do not get it, I rip the movie with a AUDIO and VIDEO_TS folder to a kmce share from a windows desktop, resync the db and the movie is no in the db with a check mark I assign attributes and cover art and then again resync the db and then regen or reload the orbter on the hybrid the movie is not there but I can search for it via the ui/video search function and it is found with the cover art, location and I can play it. why does it not show up in the UI without deleting the server and then connecting it again and have the hybrid rebuild the shares all over again.

I cannot scan any of my music files which are all flac, I cannot scan avi files as they load as Doc Viewer files repeatedly no matter what I set them to. These are windows cifs shares.

Would Linux have not set the proper permissions when I setup the shares in the first place.

I have no orginization to my audio files whatsoever and I cannot seem to make any headway in changing that. I cannot play .mp4 one of the whole reasons to change to another box was HD playback and I cannot seem to get one file to play - .MKV, .mp4.

This is very frustrating of course, I still remember reading somewhere that no linux experience was necessary to use LMCE, wow has that changed in two weeks.

Regards,

Dave

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 01:45:08 am »
*hmm*

LinuxMCE has built in facilities to rip DVD movies... if you use those, no problem whatsoever....

-Thom

rodercot

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 01:59:12 am »
Typical!!!! There is a problem you are telling me that I HAVE TO RIP A WHOLE movie and that is not what I want to do and every other system including Linux allows people to do this.

What about all the other issues FLAC, mp4 etc... why are they all defaulting to Doc Viewer and cannot be changed, they were loaded inside LMCE and all on the media server when I connected it.

And what if there is movie that Linux cannot rip "Then What"! I guess you are then not ALLOWED to put that movie on the server would be the answer.

Really,

Dave

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 02:18:54 am »
please do not yell at the people who are trying to help...

look man, i'm sorry you're going through hell..

I'm not sure why your updatemedia process is tagging the .avi files as Doc Viewer....it shouldn't be in any case. I've been looking over the code, and I can't find any reason as to why this is happening as you describe.

-Thom

rodercot

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 04:19:42 am »
please do not yell at the people who are trying to help...

look man, i'm sorry you're going through hell..

I'm not sure why your updatemedia process is tagging the .avi files as Doc Viewer....it shouldn't be in any case. I've been looking over the code, and I can't find any reason as to why this is happening as you describe.

-Thom

Thom,

Yes you are right! sorry. I am just very frustrated. I can load up any system IE, I did it this morning, I took a pile of junk pc stuck a drive in it loaded hardy from cd installed all the updates and restricted drivers dwnlded xbmc installed it opened it up, scanned my media even on the LMCE domain from my external lan and it found all my files as they are 650 albums in FLac with cover art.

I really want to use this system as I have stated before, it is rock solid as a hybrid right now, no crashes in two weeks it has been on and I have not done any reinstalled and have used this whole things as a learning curve so with that said I am hugely impressed at the system versatility for withstanding the things I could have broke so far. I am just totally confused as to why the easiest things to do seem to be the hardest.

Like: If I so delete the media server from devices and the recreate a new one let it find all the shares it will repopulate after a scan all of the movies in the db including the ones I am ripping from my workstation (windows) simply why or how could I do this rebuild without having to disconnect from the system and reconnect.

The music thing I cannot even remotely figure out at this point I am lost with that.

I am not opposed to changing the way I have things setup - if I new the proper way to do that or it was going to make the job of organizing the media easier.

I DO appreciate all you guys are doing with this system to make it easier for us.

rgds,

Dave

rodercot

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 12:58:10 pm »
Well I have figure out the adding new dvd's from outsid LMCE. Leave no spaces in the titles OOPS. I changed the names of the new movies I added and a couple more that were on the server already and then resync'd then did a regen on the hybrid and they were in the UI. I was just over looking the simple things LIKE a file name. One down.

Now I need to figure out - since my data is all in public/data/other - windows cifs shares. I need to move a folder of avi files to my user directory so that these files will not be seen on the ui by the public, where should I move this folder of AVI files to. What location?

Thanks,

Dave

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 02:52:41 pm »
The LinuxMCE file structure is pretty consistent here, although we do plan to improve it....

/home
   public
      data   
         audio
         video
         documents

and then for each user, user_1, user_2, user_3, which correspond to the first user entered into the web admin, the second user entered, the third user entered, etc.

/home
   public
      data   
         audio
         videos
         documents
  user_1
    data
        audio
        videos
        documents

-Thom

rodercot

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 04:43:40 pm »
Ok Thom,

So for the folder which I am referring to that i need to move. In the webadmin I would grap the folder with all its files and move it to user_1/videos is that correct.

What will the impact on the server be, will it create a new folder structure on the server or move the folder and files to the core/hybrid.

Oh! one more thing. I noticed looking in the music section on the ui on the hybrid that lmce is configuring it as ui - audio - then artist - then albums - then songs. So it seems that there is a layer here that is not the same as with the video section. this would be great for TV shows setup currently - so if we could have the tv show name - then the season - then the episodes per season. Is there an easy way to configure this thom or is this a hard coded thing with the video or audio sections independently. Just wondering.

Thanks,

Dave

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 06:09:18 pm »
there is nothing hard coded in this way, believe it or not.... We do not honor filesystem structure in any way except for the top most levels (when using LinuxMCE Folder Structure) to merely cause updatemedia to look in those locations when media is scanned....

Right now, for audio, the ID3 tags are used to add Attributes to each and every media file, that it finds.

read that again.

We don't use the hierarchical position of the files on disk to determine what goes where, at all... When we rip, we do put things in Artist > album > track order, but this is coincidental.

You see, by default (and the default IS currently hard-coded), items are sorted by their Title attributes....

and in the case of audio, everything is sorted by artist (Performer), then Album, then track..but this can be changed with the sort options in the file list. (no there is currently no way yet to persist that.)

In the media subsystem, we only deal with attributes. The Filename sort option bypasses this.

I know it's a bit weird.. but once we get media identification debugged, this is the right way to do it. I do NOT _EVER_ want to see files and folders in a media subsystem..ever... and no, nothing you can do to convince me of that. :-)

-Thom

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 07:43:01 pm »
I know it's a bit weird.. but once we get media identification debugged, this is the right way to do it. I do NOT _EVER_ want to see files and folders in a media subsystem..ever... and no, nothing you can do to convince me of that. :-)

You piqued my curiosity. Why?  Is it the hybrid usage with the necessary sync'ing between file system and db?  And what would you prefer instead?  Slurp all media files into a db?

I just reread what I just wrote and want to emphasize it is curiosity, not negativity.

Have fun,
Roy

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 07:44:42 pm »
because filesystem hierarchies are TERRIBLE. If we use the database, we can create a system that avoids the problem of, "oh crap, what folder did I put that in?" .. it just means that we need to make our metadata population better.

-Thom

rodercot

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 12:54:23 pm »

Right now, for audio, the ID3 tags are used to add Attributes to each and every media file, that it finds.

read that again.

I am trying to get my head around this, so in a non-linux structure. All my audio files are in fact setup with artist - album - tracks. How do I tell linuxmce it is an album, I take it that we need to apply attributes to every song on every album in this case. right now IE - ABBA - Gold(Greatest Hits) - tracks. I applied attributed to Gold for that album and when viewing the UI I get a cover art over ABBA in view by artist then I get no cover art over GOLD and no cover art over the tracks and when I click on one to play it, it plays that track repeadetly and does not move onto other tracks in the album.  When I click on GOLD it takes me into the tracks on the album but from the GOLD (album window) for that artist there is no option to just select play from one of the albums under that artist. I hope this makes sense.

On the other issue of moving the video folder, was I correct in using the user_1 video folder. I have not moved those files yet. I just want to be sure that is where I need to move it to.

rgds,

Dave

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 01:02:57 pm »
So for the folder which I am referring to that i need to move. In the webadmin I would grap the folder with all its files and move it to user_1/videos is that correct.
On the other issue of moving the video folder, was I correct in using the user_1 video folder. I have not moved those files yet. I just want to be sure that is where I need to move it to.

I believe it should be user_1/data/videos

HTH,
Roy