Author Topic: Switching gpu's after install  (Read 3835 times)

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Switching gpu's after install
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:34:27 pm »
If I wanted to upgrade my video card, say switch from an ATI 2400xt 256mb to a nVidia 8600gts 512mb, would I have to reinstall lmce?  I've altered my xconf file for the ATI drivers, would I have to manually update them again for the nVidia or if I ran the AV/ setup wizard would it do that automatically? 

Just wondering.  Thanks,

crash

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Switching gpu's after install
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:47 am »
Hi Crash

I tried to upgrade the NVDIA card in my system from a 7200 to a 7800gtx but it did not work for me. I got the Transparancy error during the generation of the orbitor. I switched back to the 7200 and all I got was a red scree.  I did try the option with the DVD installer to preserve the settings and home but that did not work either. I reinstalled Linuxmce with the new card and it worked without any problems. Orbitor seems a lot faster and screen redraws seem faster as well.

Hopefully someone with an ATI card can advise you.

Good luck.

Paul

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:06:03 pm »
Thanks!

With your 7800gtx, are you able to run UI2 w/a.b. as flawlessly as one might hope? 

At this point I'm having so many issues with my card I'm looking to just buy a nVidia one to replace it.

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:37:11 am »
I've been able to switch back and forth between different video cards without problem. Worst case when I was getting a blank screen, I would login via SSH and change the driver in the xorg.conf. Sometimes it would be necessary to do a first restart with the vesa driver, then change it to what you need (ati/nvidia etc) and restart again.
There must even be a way to just restart X and not the whole computer, but I did not find it...

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:59 pm »
Well I've managed to get everything working with my 8600gts, and now where I know I can get that one working I'm tempted to put my ATI card back in there and see if I can do the same.  Although...tinkering is what got me into trouble the first time...

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:38:14 pm »
If you remember what you did to make the 8600 work, then you should be able to do it again if you have to, only much faster this time :-)
By the way I was talking about MDs, I have no idea if it's also that easy in a core. For an MD, worst case you can rebuild it...

Crash

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:47:25 pm »
Oh, yeah I was talking about my hybrid.  I just set that up so I've yet to branch out to any MD's.