Author Topic: Music Cover Art  (Read 2610 times)

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Music Cover Art
« on: June 08, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »
As most people know the 'Cover Art' function in LinuxMCE doesn't really work well. I have more the 2000 music cd's on my server and all the mp3's were correctly tagged, inclusif cover art. I played around with the 'Cover Art' function and messed up the tags of my mp3's. This was my mistake so I decided to do them all over again with other software for tagging mp3's. I started tagging the files again and noticed that the cover art wasn't displayed correctly in the Orbitter. So i took another look at the tags and noticed there were other cover arts added to the files. First I thought it was the program I'm using for editing the mp3's so I tried another program with the same result. I tried other programs and they all gave the same result. I ad a cover to a mp3 and when I look at the same mp3 later (not directly but after an hour or the day after) again there are other covers (not related to the mp3) added to the tag. Now I'm using MediaMonkey and everything looked fine. I edited the MP3's and looked at them later and no other covers were added. At this time I didn't realized I hadn't turned on my Core for several days. After I started the Core again and looked at files I tagged before again there are unrelated covers added to mp3's. So now i'm thinking it's LinuxMCE that's editing the mp3 tags on it's own. I can see no other cause because everything stays fine untill I turn on the server. After it's online for a while there are new covers in my tags. I've been trying to get my music collection back to the state it was before but it seems LinuxMCE keeps messing up my tags. With a music collection of more the 2000 cd's it takes a lot of time and effort to get all the tags in order so you can imagine LinuxMCE starts pissing me off. Does anyone else has this problem? I've searched the forum but nobody is complaining about this. I hope I'm not the only one because really would like to get it fixed.

Grtz
Thingie

Zeratul

• View Profile
Re: Music Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:43:49 am »
Yes I had the same thing.
Itunes did this once to my collection as well. As wonderfull as all the automagic stuff may be for some users, it's irritating for people who want to manage their collection by themselves.

My musical taste is such that 90% of the CD's I listen too are not even available on Amazon.com.
Fortunately I copied my 120Gb of music to the core and could simply do that again.

Meanwhile I am using Amarok full screen launched from KDE for music. It's nicer and has last.fm support.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:19:51 pm »
Hi,

same happened to me. I used Cover Art LMCE feature some time ago and now I was cleaning my media library and spotted that I have several cover arts in moajority of files that I didn't select for sure....

I still don't like the UpdateMediaDaemon way of doing things. I'm not sure why it doesn't use one of more standard way of dealing with metadata (folder.jpg, maybe xml meta files, etc...) and therefore all these problems would be smaller....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »
we need volunteers to help fix the UpdateMedia bugs, and to make it able to recover from problems of metadata slippage and rot.

-Thom