Author Topic: Hope this will help you guys with NVIDIA cards and 1080I  (Read 2379 times)

rodercot

Hope this will help you guys with NVIDIA cards and 1080I
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:30:35 pm »
I did a bunch of reading this morning on the newest Nvidia Driver. NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05.pkg1.run

I installed the driver using this wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

A link to the NVIDIA read me file http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.05/README/chapter-03.html

I read all through the custom settings for the install as I wanted to use 1080I on 710RC2 for my sony 57 rptv. I thought I was in for a painful day of modifying the xorg.conf file. Well! two things the newest driver includes an easy nvidia-xconfig editor. The other major thing I found out is that if you are using the "TV out" on your video card with Component, Compsite etc... adding mode lines to the config will not help you as the driver bypasses them and used the --tv-Standard= command.

So that being said from LMCE I hit ctrl-alt-f2 to get to the command prompt goto to the root and issued a telinit 1 command (note if you are not familiar as i was not this shuts everything down including X and then pops up with a dcerouter_765743 or the like. I had to re login to dcerouter and issue another sudo -s to get back to root.

Then I  loaded man nvidia-xconfig. there it will give you all the command line options for anything you want to add to the xorg.conf file. My Tv out was already being used so I did not have to enable it. and I already have more than enough overscan to deal with so I left this disabled. so my command line was

nvidia-xconfig --tv-standard=HD1080i  enter

It will save your original copy and write a new xorg.conf fole and tell X to start using the new one.

I then started X to check and it was noticable right away over 720P. As i stated my TV has never looked good at 720. I then went back to the command prompt and issued a reboot command. LMCE loaded perfectly, did not start the wizard and it looks GREAT. I am noticing NO slow downs in the gui any where and all fuzzy text on the on screen orbiters is clear again.  I even started up the Sony Service menu in my TV to make sure that it was seeing 1080I. This TV does not tell me what resolution I am currently receiving I have to check it in the service menu.

hope this helps. I am learning as I go - totally new to Linux as well. So I will help where I can. I read alot. LOL.

This is how I did it but I had a laptop right beside me the whole time reading the Nvidia read me file from the same place I downloaded the file. If anyone has any suggestion for the overscan on the KDE desktop they would be welcome as I cannot figure that out for the life of me. The overlay in LMCE looks great and my only issue with the overlay is that I cannot setup MYTH from within LMCE because I cannot access the yes no continue buttons at the bottom of the screen. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Dave

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:47:34 pm by rodercot »

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hope this will help you guys with NVIDIA cards and 1080I
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:35:13 pm »
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Overscan#.22Why_doesn.27t_the_desktop.2FMythTV_interface_fit_properly_on_my_TV_screen.3F.22

This may be of interest to you,However I have a 56" Samsung which uses the VGA connector and I have the damn over scan for the desktop, which I cant fix at all it seems, use another MD to count the up down left right clicks, to configure mythtv settings since you cant see them on the screen....its a pain! 

rodercot

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:25:55 pm »
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Overscan#.22Why_doesn.27t_the_desktop.2FMythTV_interface_fit_properly_on_my_TV_screen.3F.22

This may be of interest to you,However I have a 56" Samsung which uses the VGA connector and I have the damn over scan for the desktop, which I cant fix at all it seems, use another MD to count the up down left right clicks, to configure mythtv settings since you cant see them on the screen....its a pain! 

Thanks Radmofo,

Yes this brings me back to my powerstrip days - OUCH!!! thanks for the heads-up. I will do some more research and post back. The link to the nvidia-utility does not work from that wiki link. Is that Nvidia utiity that gets installed with the newest driver, you can access from the kde desktop. I have no over or under scan adjustments in that utility anywhere.

regards.

Dave

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:49:44 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think that you can really only control the over/underscan from the mode timings and as you pointed out modelines are ignored in TVOut mode (have been for several versions of the driver I believe). I had a lot of difficulty getting 1080p working on my Samsung LCD without overscan in 50Hz using HDMI (not TVOut) - the only modeline that worked correctly had overscan, the correct mode timings caused the screen to have a heart attack. After a lot of messing around and threatening Samsung, they finally found me an option in the menu system that told it to "Just Scan" for the screen size (instead of 16:9 which I had selected by default) - this fixed it instantly - so perhaps a setting on your screen?

Edit: Just noticed in that readme file the xorg.conf option "TVOverScan" "<1.0-0.0>" option.... maybe try 0.0?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:25:19 am by colinjones »

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:45:02 am »
On the overscan issue.  I worked around it by changing my TV setup.  My TV, Hitachi P60X901, has two 16x9 options: 16x9standard1 & 16x9standard2.  Switching to standard2 eliminated the overscan issue.

HTH,
Roy

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:14:19 am »
radmofo,

i also have a samsung (although a different model) and had pretty bad overscan problems.  I found that there is a 'service mode' that allows many adjustments to be made to the picture that are not accessible using the normal menu. 

for my TV, to enter the service menu start with the TV off then enter

Mute-1-8-2-Power

on the remote.

From there, you can play aruond with things like x and y axis adjustments, screen size and position etc...

hope it works for your TV as well.
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

rodercot

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:43:30 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think that you can really only control the over/underscan from the mode timings and as you pointed out modelines are ignored in TVOut mode (have been for several versions of the driver I believe). I had a lot of difficulty getting 1080p working on my Samsung LCD without overscan in 50Hz using HDMI (not TVOut) - the only modeline that worked correctly had overscan, the correct mode timings caused the screen to have a heart attack. After a lot of messing around and threatening Samsung, they finally found me an option in the menu system that told it to "Just Scan" for the screen size (instead of 16:9 which I had selected by default) - this fixed it instantly - so perhaps a setting on your screen?

Edit: Just noticed in that readme file the xorg.conf option "TVOverScan" "<1.0-0.0>" option.... maybe try 0.0?

Hi Colin,

Well I tried that with no luck and I after i did it I re-read the read me and the default is already 0.0 which in turn means no overscan or disables the feature on the nvidia card. I guess I will have to look at getting a manual for my Set. I have always been able to get into the Service Menu since day 1 with this set as it is the only real way to set the convergence compared to sony's auto converg method. I would love to go playing around in there if Sony made it easy they seem to use all their own acronyms there are about 18-20 main menu items and then about 10-20 items under each of those. It is pretty bad though I have to get this fixed asap.

Regards,

Dave

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 04:45:55 pm »
radmofo,

i also have a samsung (although a different model) and had pretty bad overscan problems.  I found that there is a 'service mode' that allows many adjustments to be made to the picture that are not accessible using the normal menu. 

for my TV, to enter the service menu start with the TV off then enter

Mute-1-8-2-Power

on the remote.

From there, you can play aruond with things like x and y axis adjustments, screen size and position etc...

hope it works for your TV as well.

Thats awesome, I will try that later this evening! I hope it works!!

rodercot

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 05:03:02 pm »
hey All,

Well I just bought and dwnld'd the Sony 57" Service Manual for my set. Out of the box it set at 9% Overscan. Ouch. Although I do not mind getting my hands dirty at most of this stuff, the setting this things has are brutal so for instance there is not one general overscan adustment. I have 7 settings per gun - per mode - per input (scaling) - and they all have to be done to adjust the h - v sizes. There is a rough and fine adjustment for each of those as well. No wonder an ISF Cal cost upwards of 500$ around here.

So radmofo - be careful in your service menu - most if like the sony will not make any changes to the set unless written and saved to the NVM. So if you just power off nothing will be saved. Then you can go back in and try again, have a pen and lots of paper and right down everything you do or change.

If overscan adjustments are available on an earlier Nvidia carg like 7600GT etc. It would be almost worth picking one up tp try it out instead of paying big to have the set calibrated.

Regards,

Dave

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:27:13 pm »
hey All,

Well I just bought and dwnld'd the Sony 57" Service Manual for my set. Out of the box it set at 9% Overscan. Ouch. Although I do not mind getting my hands dirty at most of this stuff, the setting this things has are brutal so for instance there is not one general overscan adustment. I have 7 settings per gun - per mode - per input (scaling) - and they all have to be done to adjust the h - v sizes. There is a rough and fine adjustment for each of those as well. No wonder an ISF Cal cost upwards of 500$ around here.

So radmofo - be careful in your service menu - most if like the sony will not make any changes to the set unless written and saved to the NVM. So if you just power off nothing will be saved. Then you can go back in and try again, have a pen and lots of paper and right down everything you do or change.

If overscan adjustments are available on an earlier Nvidia carg like 7600GT etc. It would be almost worth picking one up tp try it out instead of paying big to have the set calibrated.

Regards,

Dave

I have a 7300 GT that wont allow any overscan changes at all. Thanks for the tip, I will be careful if I go in to "service" If I toast my TV this will be my last post after my wife gets a hold of me.

rodercot

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:38:56 pm »
hey All,

Regards,

Dave

I have a 7300 GT that wont allow any overscan changes at all. Thanks for the tip, I will be careful if I go in to "service" If I toast my TV this will be my last post after my wife gets a hold of me.

LOL - LOL - LOL - I hear ya... Luckily my set is about 10 yrs old now and on the way out - so if I help it along!!! SSSSSHHHHHHH!!! ;)

rodercot

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »
Hey All,

So I picked up a sharp 52 d64u they were on sale and I got an open box deal, which I made them pull out of the box to allow to inspect it thouroughl. screen, border etc,,, I also plugged it in at the store and we checked all the sources.

My question is now I have installed the prop. Nvidia driver and it it seeing the TV out on the video card. Can I plug in the new tv via dvi-hdmi and then reboot to the a/v wizard and reset the resolution or will I have to edit the xorg turning off the tv out portion. I also forced the TVStandard to HD1080i in the nvidia-xconfig.

as far as controlling this is it a matter of rerunning sarah and plug in the rs232 cables when I am told to.

thanks,

Dave

rodercot

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 07:44:06 pm »
 I got the TV installed last night finally. UGGHH!!! Anyhow I followed Alex's setup for his aquos setup. THANKS Alex, I wish I would have found that earlier.

A couple things, Sarah could not find my com port, I actually selected the other option she presented then it asked me if this was the right tv I chose no and reselected it manually and then the com port was available then it worked. Another note on these Tv's if you are not aware. I still had overscan when I first plugged it in and set it up. Upon doing some searching Google, I found out that there is a View mode button on the remote - I chose dot to dot and voila all overscan was gone and now everything fits 100% at 1920 x 1080 60p. I did turn off EDID in the xorg file because I got the unable to display error on the TV.

Regards,

Dave

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:45:55 pm »
The mute 1 8 2 pwr trick works! Thanks for that! I can now see the mythtv buttons. Yeehaw! Only 40 more bugs to work out.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 01:28:11 pm »
Cool, I'm going to have to try that at home :)
I'll be back on Sunday night.. will report back..
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.