Author Topic: Lirc, Mythtv, and networking issues  (Read 3390 times)

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Lirc, Mythtv, and networking issues
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:30:08 pm »
I have installed the AMD64 version of 7.10 RC2. I have a couple of questions:

1. My remote control connected to my PC is a Snapstream Firefly RF and it isn't recognized. The remote uses the lirc_atiusb driver which is available through Lirc. I used it with Ubuntu for the last two or three versions. I can't seem to find /etc/lirc and I can't seem to view any startup info from the sys log. I have a lircd.conf file that I could use but I'm not sure if Linuxmce references the /etc/lirc. It seems I could get the remote to work if linuxmce would recognize it and install lirc and the driver. My question is how do I get this remote to work? I have tried the template but haven't had any success.

2. I have a network with three computers. Two have Ubuntu 8.04 and the last one has Linuxmce 7.10 RC2. Before installing Linuxmce, all computers had Ubuntu 8.04 and were setup with NFS so I could access files on any computer from any computer. During the installation Linuxmce recognized three shares and when I look under manage drives, I have three windows shares. How can I re-establish the NFS network for all three computers so I can have the same ability as before. The other two computers have data and videos that I wish to keep. Also I want install Linuxmce on the other two computers but I need a way to retreive the data so I can do a clean installation.

3. I have used Mythtv for a couple of years. My undestanding is that a computer with a tuner card must be a master / slave backend to utilitize the tuner. The netboot option doesn't seem to be the way to go if I want to utilitize the tuner on that computer. It would seem that I would need to load the Linuxmce software on the MD to get use of the tuner?

I am interested in this software package and would like to get the above items working. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 07:10:36 pm by williammanda »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Lirc, Mythtv, and networking issues
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:26:08 pm »
I have installed the AMD64 version of 7.10 RC2. I have a couple of questions:

Hi, and welcome!

I just did that on Monday too, and now that my bigger hard drive has arrived (the first install was just a test on a 180GB drive) I'm going to install everything all over again, and later, I'll mate that with another 500GB media drive I have in my MythBuntu core at the moment.

1. My remote control connected to my PC is a Snapstream Firefly RF and it isn't recognized. The remote uses the lirc_atiusb driver which is available through Lirc. I used it with Ubuntu for the last two or three versions. I can't seem to find /etc/lirc and I can't seem to view any startup info from the sys log.

If I'm not mistaken, you can log into the admin page (http://localhost/), click on Media Directors, find yours, and then add the lirc driver and then specify a remote. I don't know anything about the Snapstream Firefly, so somebody else may be able to give more specific instructions.

2. I have a network with three computers. Two have Ubuntu 8.04 and the last one has Linuxmce 7.10 RC2. Before installing Linuxmce, all computers had Ubuntu 8.04 and were setup with NFS so I could access files on any computer from any computer.

LinuxMCE creates its own /etc/exports file each time on reboot. You likely won't have much luck adding other NFS mounts.

When you turn the other two machines into Media Directors, you will net boot over the network. The core will see you have a hard drive in there and you can opt to let the Core use it. You may have to rethink the way you want to share files to better utilize LinuxMCE.

Read this page for more information on Using Network Shares:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Howto:_Using_Network_Shares

Are you going to leave the other two machines running all the time? The core will see the files when they are available and share them, and they will disappear when your other machines are powered down. I'd be more apt to put all the storage drives into the core and perhaps leave a small crappy drive in the media directors to use for local swap space.

3. I have used Mythtv for a couple of years. My undestanding is that a computer with a tuner card must be a master / slave backend to utilitize the tuner. The netboot option doesn't seem to be the way to go if I want to utilitize the tuner on that computer.

It works the same way.. you're netbooting, sure, but you still go into MythTV and make sure the tuner card inputs are correct and the guide info is correct. You must also check the core's admin page, media directors, and ensure the tv cards are recognized there too.

There are some differences between Mythbuntu 8.04 (I assume that's what you were using?) and LinuxMCE 7.10. LinuxMCE runs "on-top" of the other applications. Press F7 (or the green round button on the remote) from pretty well anywhere and the LinuxMCE menu pops up, allowing you to flip around and do other things while your media continues to play.

LinuxMCE also has it's own version of the guide (F6 or F8, then arrow up/down.. ) but you are free to continue to use the Guide built into MythTV (I prefer LinuxMCE's version myself).

I like being freed from the keyboard and mouse... if you get a gyro mouse or even wireless mouse, it's so much easier to move around in LinuxMCE. Some people are using hand-held orbiters to control things. Very flexable.

Hopefully some of the other folks in the forum will pop in with some more suggestions for you on the remote.. in the meantime, sit back and enjoy the ride.