Author Topic: infrared receivers don´t work any more after full reinstallation of 7.10  (Read 3440 times)

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I have two DVB cards (TT1500 and Hauppauge Nova S-Plus).

Both contain an infrared receiver and a remote.

The TT1500 infrared receiver never worked. A device /dev/input/eventx is generated, but a "tail -f" did not output anything. So I plugged in the Hauppauge card (which does not work for DVB), and it worked for some weeks. tail -f /dev/input/event5 worked, and I could control the orbiter.

Until I finally chose to do a full install from of the LinuxMCE DVD distribution from scratch, because I didn´t get the DVB drivers to work with my old installation.

Now the infrared receiver on the Nova card also does not work any more. There is simply no output... (But I can watch record TV shows using MythTV and the PC keyboard, but not listen to it, because my sound card has now the wrong device number in ALSA...)

What should I do to find out what went wrong?

Kind regards
Thorsten

P.S: I really want to give it a chance and understand everything, but if I had known before that I have to spend several month without success, I would have bought a simple harddisc video recorder and kept my old windows system for my audio library... Now it is disassembled and I have my pride in making linux work for the job....

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hi,

very good: I did not get any answer... I dis- and reassembled the whole system, solved some other problems, but still no sign of life from the remote control.

Nobody with a hint?

:'(

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Doesn't help, but when i went from AMD64 7.10 Beta 2 to i386 7.10 final my USBUIRT no longer sends codes but it receives them fine.  I have a DirecTV tivo and I watch TV straight from the reciever not through LMCE/Mythtv (HD via receiver but only SD through Myth/LMCE), so I just gave up.

However, I still recommend the USB-UIRT as it's plug and play with LMCE and even with my transmission issues the receiving part works great.  One of the growing pains I went through with LMCE is learning to go with hardware specifically supported.  Hardware support in LMCE is unfortunately dismal even with stuff that works just fine in Kubuntu.  It's a shame really, but if you stick with supported hardware things really do just work.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
skeptic: the i386 build of the usbuirt.so currently has a bug.. you need to plug an ir dongle in the back, because it doesn't transmit on the on-board ir blasters.

get a xantech 286 double ir emitter (you are supposed to do this anyway), attach the emitters to your gear, and the problem will go away.

-Thom

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
integrated infrared receivers on dvb cards still not functional
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:24:14 am »
Hello,

hhhmm thanks :-| Seems as if USB-UIRT is not really available in germany - or it must have a different name... I don´t even find something useful in Google... And I don´t need IR transmission, as my harmony remote does everything for me.

I don´t think my question / problem is LMCE-specific, because the drivers don´t even seem to fire events on /dev/input/event4, and this just can be an issue with the kernel/drivers or the hardware?!

In past, when the events were output on the device node, LMCE understood everything very well.

I even thought about buying a wireless keyboard/mouse combination and using the system without any other remote control ;*)

- Thorsten

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
skeptic: the i386 build of the usbuirt.so currently has a bug.. you need to plug an ir dongle in the back, because it doesn't transmit on the on-board ir blasters.

get a xantech 286 double ir emitter (you are supposed to do this anyway), attach the emitters to your gear, and the problem will go away.

-Thom
Ah, that would explain it.  Any idea if/when the bug would be fixed?  I don't really need the transmitter at the moment, more of a nice to have.