Author Topic: udev / alsa / sound card ordering question - sound card is card number 2  (Read 3571 times)

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hello,

perhaps someone has an answer for the following question:

I have a cmedia PCI sound card with optical output, and two DVB cards (Hauppauge Nova S-Plus, TT1500). I installed the system with just the sound card and one of the DVB cards. Now, after plugging in the second DVB card, the correct sound card is card number 2 in amixer - and I don´t get any output from LinuxMCE.

I want to change the order so that my sound card is card number 0 again. Do I have to deal with "modprobe.d/alsa-base" or with "udev/rules.d/..." or both?

"pcimodules" shows:

intel-agp
shpchp
uhci-hcd
ehci-hcd
shpchp
iTCO_wdt
intel-rng
ata_piix
ata_generic
ata_piix
ata_generic
i2c-i801
nvidiafb
nvidia_new
nvidia_legacy
nvidia
ohci1394
cx8800
cx88-alsa
cx8802
snd-cmipci
snd-aw2
budget-ci
snd-aw2
8139too
8139cp

I am simply confused - and every article that I read in the internet leaves me alone with figuring out which module belongs to which device - which I don´t even know.

"lsmod|grep alsa" shows no results. "lsmod|grep snd" shows:

snd_cmipci             39040  0
gameport               16776  1 snd_cmipci
snd_opl3_lib           13952  1 snd_cmipci
snd_hwdep              10884  1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_mpu401_uart        10112  1 snd_cmipci
snd_seq_dummy           4868  0
snd_seq_oss            35712  0
snd_seq_midi           10656  0
snd_seq_midi_event      8576  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_aw2                15036  1
snd_pcm_oss            51488  0
snd_mixer_oss          18432  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq                58448  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_rawmidi            27296  2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device          9612  6 snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm                86148  3 snd_cmipci,snd_aw2,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              25988  3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    67012  18 snd_cmipci,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_aw2,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8800  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         12168  1 snd_pcm

Please please help me :)

Thorsten

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
I suspect that to be related to udev rules.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

maybe another option might be the parameters for kernel modules... I remember that once had a mess with video cards (PVR 350 and bt878 capture card) - but found kernel module parameter, that will put this card into certain /dev/videoX slot... Maybe you can do similar with audio....

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

thorsten

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hello,

many thanks for the hints!

I finally resolved the problem, but it was something completely different:

The linux kernel in LMCE 7.10 contains a driver "snd_aw2" for an audiowerk sound card. This driver contains a bug, so it is loaded for every saa7146 chip probably in any PCI device (?). For me, it was loaded instead of the correct frontend driver for my TT1500 DVB-S card. After blacklisting the driver in /etc/modprobe.d, the DVB card finally works! HEUREKA!

And since then there is just one sound card in ALSA, and audio output works well, too!

But why does nobody else seem to have this problem? The DVB card did not work, and I don´t believe it will work for anyone who just installs LMCE from the distribution DVD. I asked here and in the Linux DVB mailing list, without response. So I will now explain the solution in a separate posting here...

Have a nice time
Thorsten