Author Topic: Lvm - help  (Read 3406 times)

3xca1ibur

• View Profile
Lvm - help
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:41:02 am »
Hi all,

This is my first post and I have looked for a solution for about the last half a day googling but to now avail yet.

I have just set up a core and a md.  On the core before i had xubuntu installed and used lvm2 to pair up some hard drives.  They have all my films etc. on so i would rather not lose it all if i can help it!

I have tried a few different ways and just resorted to installing Webmin and trying to get that to do it, it can detect all of the volume groups, show me the drives that make them up etc.  However when I try to mount them using webmin I get the message "Failed to save mount : The device file '/dev/vg2/Series' does not exist"

Any help would be great or just a pointer in something that might help to google for!

System set up for core :

Old dell server :-
2 x 733Mhz P3
1.7 Gb Ram
Onboard graphics - 8mb i think
scsi raid array with 1 18Gb hdd for the OS
4 x 500Gb Sata
2 x 320Gb Sata
1 x 500Gb external

Running the 7.10 version of linux mce, installed with kubuntu first then the 2 separate cd's

If you need any more info just let me know!

Cheers
R

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Lvm - help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:23 am »
the storage radar and its associated auto-mount scripts do not support LVM, currently. And when you do try to hack it in (by transplanting it for /home, for example....) the storage radar will incorrectly report its disk space.

What I suggest doing, is:

* backing up the LVM
* using the web admin, to reformat as a RAID volume
* copying the stuff back on...

or

* move the disks to another machine to use as a NAS
* set up shares for them
* let LinuxMCE find them and mount them as public.

I recommend the first option.

-Thom

3xca1ibur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:49:57 am »
Thanks for your quick response!

I think that I will have to get another couple of Hdd's then! Not enough space at the moment to back them up and use LinuxMCEs raid solution and not a spare comp to use as NAS.

are there any dirty hacks that i can use to get around it until I can get some more space?  The disks are all amost full so i was not planning on recording anything to them at the moment.

Cheers,
R

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:01:14 am »
no, the recommendations up top are about the only things I can think of.

-Thom