Author Topic: Building New System - Please Help!  (Read 2439 times)

dystopias

• View Profile
Building New System - Please Help!
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:47:17 pm »
I posted this in "marketplace" but see that this might be a better place, sorry for the repost.

Okay.  I want to build a new system, so I will describe what I have now and what I want to be able to do.  I'm kind of a newbie so go easy on me.

I've got a 21" crt TV with a PS2 for dvd playback and a Tivo for recording junk. I get basic basic cable from comcast. I'd like to get a large lcd tv - but have been told that that won't function with my basic basic cable.  I also wouldn't mind getting rid of the tivo in favor of something else. 

Then it occured to me to look into building a linux midia center.  I watched the video for MCE and was impressed.  So here's what I'd like:

42"-47" lcd tv.  Media center with ability to play dvd's, music, photos, tivo functionality, and live tv functionality.  also, ability to use internet on the tv would be great.

I'm at that point in my life where i'm increasingly wishing things would 'just work' - so i don't want any beta or experimental stuff.  That being said, what equipment do i need?  I don't have the money to blow on all this stuff, so no extravagant stuff here.  What are things I need to watch out for when picking a tv, computer components, etc?  do i need to upgrade my cable?  I don't know any of this.

To top it all off, here's the last question.  My wife is legally blind and so ease of use is very important.  She can see a little, and has figured out the essential functions of the tivo, but it's hard.  does this sound like something she will be able to use?  to watch live tv, recorded shows, or dvd?

Sorry for my long post, but thank you in advance for any help!

dystopias

• View Profile
Re: Building New System - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »
while doing research, i saw some positive reviews for this motherboard:  ABIT AN_M2HD

Is that still ok to use?

What about video cards, tv tuners, bluetooth, sound, ram, hd, and optical drive?

I just don't want to get the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Building New System - Please Help!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:32:44 pm »
Sounds more like you're looking for something like myhbuntu (or another mythtv distro).  Unless you get the right hardware (that is known to work out of the box) this thing isn't going to "just work".  See also the hardware category in the wiki for other users' experience and more information.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous