I took previous thing as a serious warning and instead trying to install any my home servers, i just
took one laptop running a gutsy and run the CD install there. I just have some comments
as user feedback. I like the LinuxMCE concept but i just like to point some usability issues that i find .
Some of the things mentioned may be me fault. I think that i was giving answer to keep original network
config but and may be it was my fault to chose OpenGl with Aplha fot ATI based paltop.
- When we are installing to existing ubuntu installation, we really should by default assume that the systems settings for network, display and existing SW packages are right and not change them
- It SHULD NOT change display settings like rresolution. If the system is already configured, the display resolution is already right. For me the installation wisard started offer some choice of fansy reselutions without choice to keep old or no applicaple resolution in choices list. There was no 1400x1050 that is default LCD resolution in most laptops, there was no 1280x720 that is one of most common for home theatre wvideo projector resolutions, there was no 2560x1600 that is 30" monitors standard resolution. At result, there is no resolution for laptop screen. no home theatre or my living room computer. It looks a like LinuxMCE setup got xorg.conf meshed up so that it wes not even possible to fix with GUI admin tools but
needed hand crafting or removing the file and then reconfiguring it by Gnome gui tool
- If the computer is in network, it has allready exactly right network settings including IP and firewall. Just handcrafring /etc/network/interfaces were needed to return original IP
configuration. I still have iptables setup made bu LinuxMCE and i have not yet find where it does it and how to disable it
- It looks alike the LinuxMCE wipe out completely my Gnome installation, i had both KDE and Gnome, If it decides to remove packages, i hope that it least asks before
- After booting up it started the setup wisard ,Setup wizard is nice but and it it is nice that it helps a lot. May be some problems were because i choose OpenGL with Alpha and may be it did not render everything correctly . but i don't know how to chage it simpler alternative ( OpenGl without alpha or even the static image version .
- Some times there just is no right answer like in resolution. In rooms setup i really did not find any way right way to change of number of the rooms. It did not take the number keys but clicking with mouse to some empty screen area right side of room list incremented some values. For somehow i got to next screen and the system was believing that i have only three bathrooms and started to ask in what room i have this server and there was no way to go back rooms menu, it always said that i need to chose room..... As my opinion, there should always be cancel/exit if there is for some reason yet right answer.
With web admin interface i was able to correct most things that setup wizard get meshed up. I got the screen size right. I have still
some rendering problems. May be because Fw setup is still meshed up i cant access my media files forom my UPnP ( or NFS ) server and for same
reason i have not yet got it working with N810/maemo orbiter client.
I will continue working with it and i try to get it at first playing my media library, then get N810 orbiter on board and then go to setting
up home automation.
[some missleading instructions removed]