Author Topic: Dcerouter hybrid MD breaking - *Updated.. SDL??  (Read 2748 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Dcerouter hybrid MD breaking - *Updated.. SDL??
« on: December 24, 2005, 06:01:06 pm »
At some point during two installation attempts, on a normal reboot of the router (after configuring a new md this time), the router's md won't start.  The log pops errors like this:

Code: [Select]
2 12/24/05 11:46:48 Start_LocalDevices.sh (server) Child device (17) was configured but the startup script (Generic_PC_as_MD) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin.

It pops the same error for the ivtv and radeon devices.  For kicks, I removed ivtv and radeon from the md setup, and those errors didn't pop anymore.

This is a weird problem.  In a case like this, can I rebuild the core md?

Update:

More error info from my third attempt.  This happened on the first hybrid/core reboot after adding a single diskless md.

2 12/24/05 19:52:16 Start_LocalDevices.sh (server) Child device (29) was configured but the startup script (Radeon_8500_or_newer) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin.
2 12/24/05 19:52:16 Start_LocalDevices.sh (server) Child device (31) was configured but the startup script (lircdconfrealmagic) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin.
1 12/24/05 19:52:16 Start_LocalDevices.sh (server) Launching device 32 in screen session (devinput)
2 12/24/05 19:52:16 Start_LocalDevices.sh (server) Child device (33) was configured but the startup script (IVTV_Capture_Card) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin.

and this pops over and over on the core, I believe as it tries to launch it's orbiter:

3 12/24/05 20:10:23 /usr/pluto/bin/Spawn_Device.sh /usr/pluto/bin/Spawn_Device.sh 18 (spawning-device) Device died... 50 18

Also, after this breaks, aside from the hybrid/core's md not working, it appears that everything else works okay - other md's, tv, etc.

Update #2 - More evidence.  Not sure if the child device errors above are part of this problem or not after all.  The following is from the log for the hybrid orbiter starting.  Seems like SDL is losing the video driver? (Radeon 9800pro):

Sun Dec 25 03:41:13 EST 2005 died
Failed initializing SDL: No available video device
1 12/25/05 03:41:33 /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X.sh (server) Starting X server
1 12/25/05 03:41:34 /usr/pluto/bin/Start_ratpoison.sh (server) Starting ratpoison
X is not running! Starting X and ratpoison: /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X.sh; /usr/pluto/bin/Start_ratpoison.sh
Return code: 1

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 11:15:47 am »
Welp, I think I got this one down somewhat.  The issue, I believe (though I can't be 100% sure because I fucked around with the resolution on the core/hybrid trying to get it to fit right on the tv - though I never set the driver to nvidia) that when i created the md in the bedroom, which has an nvidia card in it, that pluto overwrote the XF86Config-4 file for the hybrid md, causing the driver to poop out and x not to load.  Swapping the driver back in wizard>devices>md's didn't help at all; in fact it still listed the driver as radeon.  I finally pulled the .new file and fixed the areas in the active file that needed it to my best knowledge. Any thoughts here?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 02:06:52 pm »
The Child device (17) was configured but the startup script (Generic_PC_as_MD) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin is "normal" (as in "it doesn't cause problems, but we didn't do anything so it doesn't show up since it's not that critical").

It looks like X has problems initializing the video card. See /var/log/XFree86.0.log. If you see a "No screens found" at the bottom, then X can't use the video card with the current driver (as written in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4).

That video card option in Pluto Admin doesn't work as expected for you since it does things a little different than what you'd expect: it installs some driver packages, and those packages will configure your X (or should), so, if you change cards, you'll either have to re-run the autoconfig code from the Orbiter package postinstall script (remove the ATI drivers packages, or this will not work, because X will segfault for some reason) or edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 an replace "fgrlx" or "vesa" with "nvidia" (after you installed the nvidia driver packages).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 08:46:10 pm »
In this case, the reason it couldn't initialize the vid card in the hybrid (ATI) is because upon install of the first MD (Nvidia), it overwrote the ATI entries in the hybrid's XF86config file with Nvidia ones.  I had to revert the file on the hybrid to bring it back up.  I reproduced this problem at least 3 times before I figured out what did it.