Author Topic: video pauses and starts back up. Hopefully someone has seen this.  (Read 5181 times)

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
During video playback, it just seems to stop...then start back almost like someone is hitting the pause button for about 2 seconds once every 10 minutes or so.  It's just annoying, sound stops and it starts back as well. Other than that video quality is great!

Please say someone else has this similiar problem, I have searched and searched, checked cpu usage LOW, check ram usage LOW network usage is low as well. Does the same thing on all MD's

My guess is maybe it's maxing out the I/O for the hard drive? Is this possible? How do I check this? It is just a ATA 133 160GB 7200RPM test setup. 

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: video pauses and starts back up. Hopefully someone has seen this.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:15:37 pm »
BUMP... This is killing me, I tried another MD on this core and now I get smooth video playback but get sound skips every 5 seconds or so. Why dos everything have to be some dam difficult!!!!??

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:01:05 pm »
Which UI are you using?  If it's not UI1, try going to that and seeing if the issue resolves.  That may help point out what's going on.

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:06 pm »
I'm even using the static orbitor right now and have the exact same problem. I don't think its the core because I have a third MD that works fine.

The two that are screwy is an MSI  kt6v 512k (3 years old) with a radeon 8500 agp 8x card, (I know what your thinking wait...) video is perfect on this one its the sound that skips a millisecond about every 5 seconds. It has a ac 97 via 8237 chipset for sound and some sort of realtek 5.1 capable sound chip as well but I'm just attempting to use stereo analog sound.

The other is a gigabyte super fancy quad core board (NEW) with 2gb and a Nvidia 7300GT pci-e that one insists on skipping the video and sound randomly every 1 to 10 minutes.

The one that works is an asus p4s8x (7 years old) 2.53 p4 with 256ram and a nvidia 6200 agp 4x. It works fricken perfect, what in the nuts is going on here???

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:20:02 pm »
Have and network connectivity problems? I've seen this? But only when using a weak wireless signal and streaming high quality video

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:32:52 pm »
I have tried 2 different gigabit switches. Only I can't seem to get gigabit connectivity with the md, something wrong with drivers I guess. But even at 100mps I still tend to see this anomaly. I have another md on the same switch and it plays fine as well. So...uggh!

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:51:07 pm »
Hmm I have 5 different gigabit cards and 2 different switches. They all seem to work at gigabit rates. Maybe it is the network card. Even at 100Mb maybe they aren't running stable. Can you try a different card in those mds? Maybe just something to think about for troubleshooting.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 12:33:06 pm »
I'm even using the static orbitor right now and have the exact same problem. I don't think its the core because I have a third MD that works fine.

The two that are screwy is an MSI  kt6v 512k (3 years old) with a radeon 8500 agp 8x card, (I know what your thinking wait...) video is perfect on this one its the sound that skips a millisecond about every 5 seconds. It has a ac 97 via 8237 chipset for sound and some sort of realtek 5.1 capable sound chip as well but I'm just attempting to use stereo analog sound.

The other is a gigabyte super fancy quad core board (NEW) with 2gb and a Nvidia 7300GT pci-e that one insists on skipping the video and sound randomly every 1 to 10 minutes.

The one that works is an asus p4s8x (7 years old) 2.53 p4 with 256ram and a nvidia 6200 agp 4x. It works fricken perfect, what in the nuts is going on here???

One test you might try is to play a DVD locally from an optical drive. That will test if the problem is network based or not. If the local disc plays smoothly then you have narrowed it down to something outside of graphics/audio subsystem to the NIC or network.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 02:41:15 pm »
Andrew,

When I play movies over the lan I get a pause randomly which lasts about a second. But playing a local dvd it tends to jump ahead every 30 minutes or so. It actually looks like someone hits the ffwd button for 5 seconds.
I WILL pin this down (with you an the forums help).

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 04:25:04 am »
here is the log lines that are generated when my video has a pause...Can someone please decipher this?

06/01/08 22:15:01   moon108   /USR/SBIN/CRON[5584]   (root) CMD (bash -c '/usr/pluto/bin/DiskSpaceMonitor.sh &>/dev/null')

06/01/08 22:15:01   moon108   /USR/SBIN/CRON[5586]   (root) CMD (/usr/sbin/ntpdate dcerouter &>/dev/null)

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:40:29 am »
Ok I'm positive this is the command that run via cron that causes the video cut out. It duplicates every time i runn the command. WTF is it? And do I need it?

root@moon108:~# /usr/sbin/ntpdate dcerouter &>/dev/null

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »
How often is that command run?  Seems like something that should only be done at boot time and at most about once a day.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 02:24:36 pm »
Every 5 minutes. Does the time need to be this acurate?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 02:56:12 pm »
Every 5 minutes. Does the time need to be this acurate?
I sincerely doubt that, and even if it was then it would be better to continously sync the time with an ntpd against the core.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 03:37:39 pm »
I'm at work now so I cant show you the log, but it does. I have looked for the cron job responsible and its nowhere to be found for me. Any idea where it is?