Author Topic: Is ADSL fully supported in 710?  (Read 3823 times)

ferdies

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Is ADSL fully supported in 710?
« on: June 02, 2008, 04:08:46 am »
Hi,

I have read in Wiki that ADSL is not fully supported yet in Linux MCE (with post date of Nov 2007). However, with the recent release of 710, is ADSL fully supported?

please see this: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/How_to_setup_ADSL_access%3F

Thanks.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Is ADSL fully supported in 710?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:43 am »
Do you just want to use ADSL for your broadband? That wiki is if you specifically want LMCE to instruct your ADSL modem to dial using PPPoE... I would strongly advise against using PPPoE unless your ADSL modem is only capable of being an PPPoE bridge.

It is far more normal (and simpler) to configure your ADSL modem as a router - this means it connects to your provider on its own with no interaction from any PCs on your home network and stays permanently connected. Like this the connection technology (ie ADSL) is completely irrelevant to LMCE.

I would be very surprised if you had a modem that was only capable of PPPoE - they are very rare these days....

ferdies

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:40:45 am »
Thanks..

My current setup is:

ADSL Modem -> Router (setup using automatic dhcp from provider, then DHCP On to provide internal addresses to client) -> client.

With new setup:
 ADSL Modem ->  Linux MCE (with DHCP on) -> Router Switch - > Wired Clients / MD / Wireless Clients

Will this setup be more advisable?  Thanks in advance.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:44:55 am »
The only thing that is relevant is whether your ADSL modem can be configured as a router rather than a bridge. Almost all of them can, and that is the normal way to set them up these days. Get the model number and brand and look it up online. Better yet, call your ISP and ask them to walk you through setting it up as an ADSL router - any ISP worth its salt should have extensive databases on configuring all the common brands and models to route. Just avoid PPPoE - that is true whether or not you are using LMCE.

Your home network configuration isn't related to any of this - once you have the ADSL router connecting to the Internet on its own, plug its ethernet interface into the external NIC of the LMCE box and set the ADSL router to provide DHCP IP addresses to your core. Then plug your switch into the other NIC of your LMCE box. Then plug your NAS's, PCs, HA, etc into that switch and set them all to get the IP addresses from your LMCE box. You can discard the router, it isn't needed in this configuration.

dukat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:47 pm »
Just avoid PPPoE - that is true whether or not you are using LMCE.

I strongly disagree here. If you use your DSL as a router, then you get only a private IP at your LMCE core which means you'll have a more complex setup if you want to have some services on the core (And especially SIP for VOIP is very pesky with private IPs). I use PPPoE on the core, which essentially means I can configure everyything at the core and don't have to bother with yet another configuration setup at the DSL router I vote for PPPoE support in LMCE (see bug report at http://www.linuxmce.com/mantis/view.php?id=3558).

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:06:54 pm »
Disagree away - that's what forums are for! Nevertheless, the world is moving away from PPPoE to simple routing setups. I realise that SIP can be a bit tricky, but the reality is I haven't come across an ADSL modem in years that cannot do simple transparent NATs outbound and PATs/virtual servers inbound. It is really easy to set them up and is not tricky at all for almost anything else (even p2p). Most routers have some level of statefulness to cope with inbound UDP/initiation, and almost all now handle upnp which makes it almost transparent. Yes, its not perfect, but compared with the ugliness and disadvantages of bridging using PPPoE.... I'm never going back!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:10:37 pm »
I think you're both right.

- Using the modem as router is easier.
- Getting an outside IP address on your core is better.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous