Author Topic: linuxMCE is still not ready for real life!  (Read 49584 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: linuxMCE is still not ready for real life!
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2008, 03:35:09 am »
EDIT:  Back on topic
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:02:44 am by los93sol »

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 05:50:00 am »
OK, EVERYONE, I am the OP and one of the main issues I was complaining about were the hard lock ups I was getting.  well, I SOLVED IT, so I want to share how.

I First tried cpu and general system temperature as the cause of the lockups.  No dice.

Long story short, my GPU was overheating.  I had a large tv tuner card right next to the gpu fan, so it was overheating.  I moved the tuner card into the farther pci slot and presto!  I've had linuxMCE running solid for over a day with no lockups.  That's a first! 

So, check your video cards people.  Oh, and sorry for the complaining I did. 

Also, I made a youtube video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R5eh-JmZROU

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2008, 05:59:25 am »
OK, EVERYONE, I am the OP and one of the main issues I was complaining about were the hard lock ups I was getting.  well, I SOLVED IT, so I want to share how.

I First tried cpu and general system temperature as the cause of the lockups.  No dice.

Long story short, my GPU was overheating.  I had a large tv tuner card right next to the gpu fan, so it was overheating.  I moved the tuner card into the farther pci slot and presto!  I've had linuxMCE running solid for over a day with no lockups.  That's a first! 

So, check your video cards people.  Oh, and sorry for the complaining I did. 

Also, I made a youtube video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R5eh-JmZROU

thats interesting. i use onboard video in my case, so is it still possible that chip is overheating?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2008, 06:42:35 am »
There's a good chance.  I heard someone say that the flickr images use open gl.  you know, they fade in and out, zoom, etc.  Thats all the time, plus playing you media, plus the 3 sorting, +whatever else.  Try disabling flickr and do you have any case fans?  They're cheap and if you can get some good airflow (like one on the side blowing in and one of the back blowing out), that might do it.

Also, my hard lockups happened at seemingly random times and both video and audio would lock.  If audio was playing, it would stutter and repeat over and over.  So, if your lockup look like that, you might want to investigate.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 10:01:00 am »
There's a good chance.  I heard someone say that the flickr images use open gl.  you know, they fade in and out, zoom, etc.  Thats all the time, plus playing you media, plus the 3 sorting, +whatever else.  Try disabling flickr and do you have any case fans?  They're cheap and if you can get some good airflow (like one on the side blowing in and one of the back blowing out), that might do it.

Also, my hard lockups happened at seemingly random times and both video and audio would lock.  If audio was playing, it would stutter and repeat over and over.  So, if your lockup look like that, you might want to investigate.

Hmmm... well you may have an overheating problem but I doubt that Flickr is responsible for your lockups as such. We have Cores & MD's that have been up continuously for weeks at a time (and they are only shutdown because we need to reconfigure something not because they have locked/crashed/overheated).

Glad you have a stable system though!

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 10:34:35 am »
thats interesting. i use onboard video in my case, so is it still possible that chip is overheating?

I have the MSI Medialive (onboad 6150) in a small case (Silverstone LC19). To reduce noise I did not mount the case fan. My AV Rack is a bit tight, so the venting holes on the side were blocked, too. I had graphic card lockups (X running at 100%, UI frozen, often at the 3d media selector). After pulling the case out of the rack the lockups disappeared.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 02:12:10 pm »
Yeah yeah yeah, lmce is not ready because you guys have heat problems...  ::)

Learn how to build a decent PC, or give it a rest.

Zaerc..  you give it a rest...  it's not a heat issue on mine..  otherwise I would be getting lockups when running xbmc/linux on the same hardware..  opengl 3d rendering for the gui and playing HD videos with no problems..  I'm getting lockups with lmce from sitting cold all night turned off, booting up and not even getting anywhere to generate any heat...

There are odd hardware issues that only relate to lmce even when using supposedly "supported" hardware..  for those of you lucky enough to have picked the "right" hardware and never experience these issue I'm sure it's hard to believe it's a lmce problem...  but it is...  it's too widespread to be denied....

I already gave it a rest, but you fuckups have to keep bringing this stupid thread back up.  And yeah I find it very hard to believe this is a lmce specific problem when only a few individuals are having symptoms that seem similar but probably aren't even related. 

If your system fails during boot, then you obviously have a hardware problem, but instead of asking for help and guidance you people choose to bitch about it in this thread blaming lmce for your own incompetence...

...That was certainly warranted...I guess you didn't get enough attention when you were little or maybe some adult male figure in your life used to play "doctor" with you.  Either way, back off and quit taking it out on the internet...nobody cares...

And what exactly does my personal life have to do with anything here?  Sounds to me you're the one looking for attention, and I guess you are just one of those adults who likes to play "doctor" with little childeren too.  Either way, fuck off and quit whining on this forum...nobody cares...

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2008, 02:41:08 pm »

Zaerc..  you give it a rest...  it's not a heat issue on mine..  otherwise I would be getting lockups when running xbmc/linux on the same hardware..  opengl 3d rendering for the gui and playing HD videos with no problems..  I'm getting lockups with lmce from sitting cold all night turned off, booting up and not even getting anywhere to generate any heat...

There are odd hardware issues that only relate to lmce even when using supposedly "supported" hardware..  for those of you lucky enough to have picked the "right" hardware and never experience these issue I'm sure it's hard to believe it's a lmce problem...  but it is...  it's too widespread to be denied....

I already gave it a rest, but you fuckups have to keep bringing this stupid thread back up.  And yeah I find it very hard to believe this is a lmce specific problem when only a few individuals are having symptoms that seem similar but probably aren't even related. 

If your system fails during boot, then you obviously have a hardware problem, but instead of asking for help and guidance you people choose to bitch about it in this thread blaming lmce for your own incompetence...

...That was certainly warranted...I guess you didn't get enough attention when you were little or maybe some adult male figure in your life used to play "doctor" with you.  Either way, back off and quit taking it out on the internet...nobody cares...

And what exactly does my personal life have to do with anything here?  Sounds to me you're the one looking for attention, and I guess you are just one of those adults who likes to play "doctor" with little childeren too.  Either way, fuck off and quit whining on this forum...nobody cares...

You know typically I don't give a rat's ass about your sarcastic bullshit remarks, but unfortunately for the rest of the board today just happens to be the day I decided to stop smoking and I'm a little pissed off already..

Zaerc, go fuck yourself you miserable piece of shit... You don't offer anything useful to this forum...  9 out of 10 of your posts you're calling people lazy or whiners or telling them they don't know what they're doing..  the majority of your posts are just attacks on others...  I don't know what the fuck your problem is... I guess belittling others give some purpose to your useless, pathetic life..  You should have been banned long ago...  you definitely don't add any worth to this forum...  and if you NEED to work for linuxmce because you've posted 1000 useless replies, then fuck linuxmce too...  with people like you contributing to it, the software will never be more than a wet dream.....

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 03:46:04 pm »

You know typically I don't give a rat's ass about your sarcastic bullshit remarks, but unfortunately for the rest of the board today just happens to be the day I decided to stop smoking and I'm a little pissed off already..

Zaerc, go fuck yourself you miserable piece of shit... You don't offer anything useful to this forum...  9 out of 10 of your posts you're calling people lazy or whiners or telling them they don't know what they're doing..  the majority of your posts are just attacks on others...  I don't know what the fuck your problem is... I guess belittling others give some purpose to your useless, pathetic life..  You should have been banned long ago...  you definitely don't add any worth to this forum...  and if you NEED to work for linuxmce because you've posted 1000 useless replies, then fuck linuxmce too...  with people like you contributing to it, the software will never be more than a wet dream.....

Speaking of useless posts, If I were you I'd start smoking again...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »
I'm going to have to step out, and defend Zaerc, here.

*deep-breath*

Zaerc is brutally honest.

If you don't like that, step away.

He has done more for this project, than 99% of you in here.

what is that, you say? I will give the most recent example....

as of last night, after many weeks of hard work alongside danielk22, he successfully booted up a copy of LinuxMCE on 0804 using an un-attended debootrapped chroot. This is the first step in a successful port, and will help us immensely on getting this project moving forward for 0810 (we will not be releasing the 0804 port officially, instead opting for the 0810 release.)...

He has been here, in the forums, tirelessly answering posts since almost day one. And if I were answering the same posts, over and over, by people who refused to read what has already been written, I would be increasingly cranky in my responses. Oh wait, I am. :)

So please, let's get back on topic.

-Thom

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2008, 04:49:34 pm »

I have the MSI Medialive (onboad 6150) in a small case (Silverstone LC19). To reduce noise I did not mount the case fan. My AV Rack is a bit tight, so the venting holes on the side were blocked, too. I had graphic card lockups (X running at 100%, UI frozen, often at the 3d media selector). After pulling the case out of the rack the lockups disappeared.

best regards,
Hari

Thats interesting. I have the the cpu fan and the case fan, though after your suggestion I may look at getting another one. Its hard to wrap my head around the fact that 0710 runs hotter  ;)

As for the rest of the bullshit in this thread, well nevermind. I suppose we'll just have to live with Admiral Rickover.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2008, 04:52:40 pm »
as of last night, after many weeks of hard work alongside danielk22, he successfully booted up a copy of LinuxMCE on 0804 using an un-attended debootrapped chroot. This is the first step in a successful port, and will help us immensely on getting this project moving forward for 0810 (we will not be releasing the 0804 port officially, instead opting for the 0810 release.)...

He has been here, in the forums, tirelessly answering posts since almost day one. And if I were answering the same posts, over and over, by people who refused to read what has already been written, I would be increasingly cranky in my responses. Oh wait, I am. :)
you left out that he spent endless hours on sqlCVS (Zaerc did all the initial investigations, without him i'd never have gone that road).
Zaerc is a member of the core team and did more contributions than most of us. He is a bright and nice guy, and I'm proud to work with him in a team.

The funny thing is, most of the people who try to bash him, did not contribute anything, want "this Zaerc guy" to just shut up, but insist on posting senseless off topic comments themself. And even if Zaerc uses a lead pipe to try to smack clue into people, he always is helpful. If I were a noob, I'd follow his directions.

best regards,
Hari

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2008, 04:54:48 pm »
oh, yeah.. that's right! damn, yeah, forgot about that. :)

(he also did the first experiments with uncoupling the DCERouter from the rest of the system for the clean core approach too...)

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:57 pm »
Thats interesting. I have the the cpu fan and the case fan, though after your suggestion I may look at getting another one. Its hard to wrap my head around the fact that 0710 runs hotter  ;)
0710 uses another nvidia driver. That could be related. There also have been changes to the photo screensaver iirc. It uses bigger opengl planes now (correct me on that).

As for the rest of the bullshit in this thread, well nevermind. I suppose we'll just have to live with Admiral Rickover.
We are all human. We can't live on this planet without war and such, why should it work in this forum *LOL*

best regards,
Hari

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:48 pm »
oh, yeah.. that's right! damn, yeah, forgot about that. :)

(he also did the first experiments with uncoupling the DCERouter from the rest of the system for the clean core approach too...)

-Thom
yeah, he was the first to compile the trunk on a non-lmce system.