Author Topic: Installation failure  (Read 3044 times)

M_Lange

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Installation failure
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:43:44 am »
I'm a true newbie to linux and MCE. I'm trying to install  0710 from a boot DVD with no success. The installation quickly goes to a black screen after starting to load the core. I'm guessing I may have a hardware compatibility issue? I'm using a MSI K9VGM-V motherboard and a eVGA 8600GT video card. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Installation failure
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:51:17 pm »
I'd like to suggest looking around before asking.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

M_Lange

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:40:01 pm »
I did look and found information about issues with 8500 video cards. Thats why I said I was suscipious of hardware conflicts. I did not find info about 8600 cards or the MSI motherboard I mentioned. But thanks for the "reply" it's good to know the attitude of the forum. I'll move on to another alternative and leave MCE for the "experts".

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:09:26 am »
Hey Buddy don't be so critical.   

Look for stuff about black screens!  If you are not using the default VGA port you can get a black screen because of being connected to i.e. the DVI/HDMI port.  When you get some beeps you need to select your video output.

I might be way off the solution to your problem but Linux is putting the effort into coming up with a solution.

Windows is "Here is what can you do, thank-you for your $$$.  Sorry, if it crashes or doesn't do what you want".

You have to spend time reading, investigating, pouring thru really useless hints, cryptic responses, etc.

I do not understand your problem.  If you could explain it further I am sure someone would help.

I install via CD's because of having to spend hours and hours and hours trying to download DVD because of throttling ISP's

I wish I could do more to help you.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:49:49 am »
If you are connecting the DVI out, use a DVI to VGA converter and it should work.  Had the same problem and answers.  This will only work if you are hearing the beeps indicating it's starting the AV Wizard.  Hope this helps.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:23:17 am »
I did look and found information about issues with 8500 video cards. Thats why I said I was suscipious of hardware conflicts. I did not find info about 8600 cards or the MSI motherboard I mentioned. But thanks for the "reply" it's good to know the attitude of the forum. I'll move on to another alternative and leave MCE for the "experts".
If you can't even be bothered to read the sticky called "Black screen after installation is finished", then I think that's a very good idea, we already have filled our quota on lazy drama queens.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous