Author Topic: Missing Wikimedia Components; What Happened to the Wiki Admins?  (Read 4747 times)

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
I am new to LinuxMCE.  I think most new users would agree that the documentation for LinuxMCE, in particular the wiki, could use improvement. 

I have been contributing to the wiki and would like to do more.  The wikimedia installation is missing a few components that allow, for example, easily adding Navboxes.  Navboxes are common in wikipedia.  You can see an example at the bottom of this page (click the show button on the right-hand-side of the powder-blue bars):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU

There are two "wiki admins", Lozzo and Samme, listed on this page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Contacts

I have attempted to contact both Lozzo and Samme and am waiting to here back from them.  I'm not holding my breath as it seem that both Lozzo and Samme have been inactive since late 2007. 

Does anyone know who "has the keys" to the LinuxMCE wiki? 

I really would like to contribute but get the feeling that the wiki infrastructure itself isn't being taken care of by anyone.

Thanks for the help.

Alex

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Wikimedia Components; What Happened to the Wiki Admins?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:48:37 pm »
Their idea of "administrating" the wiki was by taking usefull things out and hindering people trying to add things.  After it became apparent that this wasn't appreciated, they simply buggered off.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:02:27 am »
So...what next? Im curious as well as im trying to help with organization and come across things that need to say where they are, moved, deleted, etc.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:01:09 pm »
I got a reply from Samme saying that he was busy with other things and isn't involved in this project at the moment.  He also said the following:

Well, I got setup as admin, but I don't have console access, I think, or atleast Paul was the only one who had that earlier. I was also into adding some extensions, but then the lack of time came in the way and I've had quite intense job/studies since last fall.

I think you should contact Paul about this matter, I think he can help you out better than me.

I'm believe Samme means Paul Webber.  I tried Paul Webber's address listed here
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Contacts

but I only received an auto-reply.  I haven't progressed beyond that.

It would be nice to know if anyone is handling basic administration of the wiki.  It would be comforting to see that the content is backed up and that the server is in good hands.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:10:18 pm »
that basically shows you how out of touch Samme has been.. Paul has not been involved with us since the 0704 release, and will not be.

-Thom